Community college, should I take my math or physics at university?

In summary: Doing this now will help you out in the long run.In summary, My local CSU (cal Poly SLO) has a open university option where I can take classes there assuming there is room after all the students apply. I am not sure if I intend to major in Math or physics yet. Possibly both, but it is extremely hard to do so at Cal Poly SLO, though they only have undergrad physics and then a undergrad and masters in Math. If I were to do physics I would probably focus on something I can be out side (like geophysics) or something very mathematical. Then with Math, I would want to do pure (you could say I am all over the place) Cal Poly is in the quarter system so
TheKracken
My local CSU (cal Poly SLO) has a open university option where I can take classes there assuming there is room after all the students apply. I am not sure if I intend to major in Math or physics yet. Possibly both, but it is extremely hard to do so at Cal Poly SLO, though they only have undergrad physics and then a undergrad and masters in Math. If I were to do physics I would probably focus on something I can be out side (like geophysics) or something very mathematical. Then with Math, I would want to do pure (you could say I am all over the place) Cal Poly is in the quarter system so it will be weird planning schedules. Also, it cost 5x as much a credit there so if I do take courses I want to limit it. I am currently in Trig so I would want to start taking my calculus there next fall and take all the courses for the first 2 years of math and physics there. Or I can take my physics there starting next spring (there winter quarter I think) and I would then get a better physics education and maybe I could even get a professor to allow me to do research? Sorry this is all disorganized and if my question is not going through. It is just I found out I will be going to a community college for 3 years and it would be cool to do some of the classes at the local university. I would be taking at least 12 at the community college a semester (I get up to 12 free plus a 200$ book voucher) and I would want to do one class at the university. Unless you guys think this is a waste of time and money since the point of community college is to save money.

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't focus so much on the university fetish you seem to have going, and instead invest that energy into the task at hand; which for you, is to complete community college and transfer. That should be your number one priority.

Math is math, and physics is physics, all other things being equivalent.

Focus on trig, and then take calculus at the community college. Once you’re done with that, if they have physics for physics majors class open at a local university, take that. If not, do the CC one, and continue to study other texts afterwards since most CC physics classes are geared toward engineers. This is all probably a year or more away for you though, and you’ll never get there by skimping on what is required of you at this instant.

Generally universities will want you to take classes applying to your major with them. I'd say take your core classes at the community college to save time and money. Take calculus 1 as well, as that is a requirement for the first semester of a physics major.

That should get you in good standing. I'd also recommend going and talking to a guidance counselor at the community college and the admissions board at the university.

Related to Community college, should I take my math or physics at university?

1. Should I take my math or physics at university?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a degree in a math or physics related field, it may be beneficial to take those courses at a university where you can receive in-depth instruction and hands-on experience. However, if you are looking to save money or want to explore those subjects before committing to a major, community college may be a good option.

2. What are the benefits of taking math or physics at a community college?

Community colleges often have smaller class sizes and more affordable tuition rates compared to universities. This can provide a more personalized learning experience and save you money in the long run. Additionally, community colleges may offer courses that are transferable to universities, allowing you to complete your basic math and physics requirements before transferring.

3. Are community college math and physics courses as rigorous as university courses?

This can vary depending on the specific institution and instructor. However, in general, community college courses are designed to prepare students for university-level courses. The rigor may not be as intense, but the material covered should be similar.

4. Will taking math or physics at a community college hurt my chances of getting into a university?

No, not necessarily. Community college can actually be a great stepping stone to university. As long as you do well in your courses and have a strong overall academic record, universities will consider your application. It may also be beneficial to discuss your reasons for taking those courses at a community college in your application.

5. Can I take math or physics at both a community college and university?

Yes, you can. Some students choose to take introductory courses at a community college and then transfer to a university for more advanced courses. This can be a cost-effective way to complete your degree. However, it is important to check with the university to ensure they accept transfer credits from the community college you plan to attend.