Commutative linear operators and their properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of commutative operators and their eigenvectors. The initial question is how to prove that commutative operators must have at least one common eigenvector. The conversation then delves into further questions about the properties and diagonalization of commutative operators. The speaker also mentions a previous mistake in posting the question in the wrong section and advises the asker to post in the correct section for better responses.
McLaren Rulez
Can someone help me with this? When two linear operators commute, I know how to show that they must have at least one common eigenvector. Beyond this fact, what else can be said about commutative operators and their eigenvectors? Further, can they be diagonalized simultaneously (or actually, can they be diagonalized in the first place?), and if so, how can this be proved?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wished to know about this but no one is responding to this thread. Please, can one somebody help?

kthouz said:
I wished to know about this but no one is responding to this thread. Please, can one somebody help?

Well, what have you thought about so far? Take 2x2 matrices. Can you find one that can't be diagonalized?

kthouz, I asked this question again at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=501340

It was a mistake on my part as I had posted this in homework section instead of linear algebra where it belongs. That's why you are not getting replies. If you have a different question from what I asked in the link, try posting a new thread in the linear algebra section. You will definitely get help

Related to Commutative linear operators and their properties

1. What is a commutative linear operator?

A commutative linear operator is a mathematical function that operates on vectors in a vector space and satisfies the property of commutativity, which means that the order in which the operator is applied does not affect the result. In other words, for two operators A and B, if A and B commute, then A(Bx) = B(Ax) for all vectors x.

2. What are the properties of commutative linear operators?

Commutative linear operators have several properties, including linearity, associativity, and distributivity. Linearity means that the operator preserves scalar multiplication and vector addition. Associativity means that the order in which multiple operators are applied does not matter. Distributivity means that the operator distributes over vector addition and scalar multiplication. Additionally, commutative linear operators also have the property of commutativity itself.

3. How are commutative linear operators used in science?

Commutative linear operators are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving differential equations, representing physical laws and systems, and performing transformations in vector spaces.

4. Can a non-linear operator be commutative?

No, a non-linear operator cannot be commutative. This is because the definition of commutativity only applies to operators that are linear, meaning that they preserve the properties of linearity. If an operator is non-linear, it does not satisfy the properties of linearity and therefore cannot be commutative.

5. Are all commutative linear operators invertible?

No, not all commutative linear operators are invertible. An operator is invertible if it has an inverse, meaning that there exists another operator that, when applied to the result of the first operator, gives the original vector. While all invertible operators are commutative, the reverse is not necessarily true. There are commutative linear operators that do not have an inverse, such as the zero operator, which maps all vectors to the zero vector.