Commutator of 4-momentum and position

In summary, there is a commutation relation between x^{\mu} and \partial^{\nu} when they are treated as operators. This is needed to prove the equation [$J J^{\mu \nu}, J^{\rho \sigma}] = i (g^{\nu \rho} J^{\mu \sigma} - g^{\mu \rho} J^{\nu \sigma} - g^{\nu \sigma} J^{\mu \rho} + g^{\mu \sigma} J^{\nu \rho})$, where the generators are defined as $J J^{\mu \nu} = i (x^{\mu} \partial^{\nu} - x^{\nu
kilokhan
Is there a commutation relation between [itex]x^{\mu} [/itex] and [itex]\partial^{\nu} [/itex] if you treat them as operators? I think I will need that to prove this
[itex]
[$J J^{\mu \nu}, J^{\rho \sigma}] = i (g^{\nu \rho} J^{\mu \sigma} - g^{\mu
\rho} J^{\nu \sigma} - g^{\nu \sigma} J^{\mu \rho} + g^{\mu \sigma} J^{\nu
\rho})$
[/itex]
Where the generators are defined as

[itex]

$J J^{\mu \nu} = i (x^{\mu} \partial^{\nu} - x^{\nu} \partial^{\mu})$
[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found the appropriate relation, [itex] \partial_{\mu}x^{\nu}=g^{\mu \nu} [/itex]

But I'm not entirely sure why this is true. If someone could explain that would be great.

Related to Commutator of 4-momentum and position

1. What is the commutator of 4-momentum and position?

The commutator of 4-momentum and position is a mathematical quantity that represents the fundamental relationship between position and momentum in the context of quantum mechanics. It is defined as the difference between the product of the 4-momentum operator and the position operator and the product of the position operator and the 4-momentum operator.

2. Why is the commutator of 4-momentum and position important?

The commutator of 4-momentum and position is important because it is a key component of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is the commutator of 4-momentum and position calculated?

The commutator of 4-momentum and position is calculated using the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, specifically the commutator algebra. It involves applying the position and 4-momentum operators to a wavefunction and comparing the results to determine the commutator value.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the commutator of 4-momentum and position?

The physical interpretation of the commutator of 4-momentum and position is that it represents the inherent uncertainty in the measurement of position and momentum for a particle at the quantum level. It quantifies the limitation of our ability to precisely know these variables simultaneously.

5. Can the commutator of 4-momentum and position be measured experimentally?

No, the commutator of 4-momentum and position cannot be directly measured experimentally. It is a mathematical quantity that describes the relationship between position and momentum in quantum systems. However, its effects can be observed through experiments that demonstrate the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and other quantum phenomena.