Commutator of exponential operators

In summary, the individual was attempting to compute the commutator [a,e^{-iHt}] with the given knowledge of [H,a]=-Ea. They tried using Taylor expansion, but only got to first order which seemed wrong. They were expecting a result similar to e^{-iEt} based on a previous calculation with [H,a]=-Ea. However, taking their result to be true only yielded a first order result. It was found that using second order was necessary to get the desired result and ignoring orders would change the value of things.
gentsagree
How do I compute the commutator [itex][a,e^{-iHt}][/itex], knowing that [itex][H,a]=-Ea[/itex]?

I tried by Taylor expanding the exponential, but I get [itex]-iEta[/itex] to first order, which seems wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer I was expecting to get is something like [itex]e^{-iEt}[/itex]. This follows from the fact that I was trying to replicate the following calculation

[tex]e^{iHt}ae^{-iHt}=e^{-iEt}a[/tex]

which is said to be justified by [itex][H,a]=-Ea[/itex].

If I take my result to be true, I get

[tex]e^{iHt}ae^{-iHt}=e^{iHt}(e^{-iHt}a-iEta)=a-ie^{iHt}Eta[/tex]

The first order is not the final result...

Second order does the job...thanks.

gentsagree said:
Second order does the job...thanks.
I am surprised by that, as the final result has all orders, and just ignoring orders means changing the value of things.

It does the job in the sense that with two orders I can get back two terms which I can combine back together to form an exponential by recognising they are the first two terms in its Taylor expansion. I thought, naively, that one order would have been enough, but the fact that the first commutator vanishes doesn't make it work.

Ah, okay.

Related to Commutator of exponential operators

1. What is the commutator of exponential operators?

The commutator of exponential operators is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to determine the relationship between two operators that represent physical observables.

2. Why is the commutator of exponential operators important?

The commutator of exponential operators is important because it allows us to understand how two operators behave in relation to each other and how they affect the physical properties of a system.

3. How is the commutator of exponential operators calculated?

The commutator of exponential operators is calculated by subtracting the product of the two operators from the product of the operators in reverse order.

4. What is the significance of the commutator of exponential operators in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of exponential operators is significant in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the uncertainty principle and the non-commutativity of certain physical observables.

5. Can the commutator of exponential operators be used to solve Schrödinger's equation?

Yes, the commutator of exponential operators can be used to solve Schrödinger's equation by providing a way to calculate the time evolution of quantum states.