Commutator of two element in GL(2,5)

In summary: Ah, ok. That makes more sense. If it's the group commutator not the matrix commutator, then I agree with your answer.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

This is more about checking a solution I've been given is correct, because either my professor is consistently getting this wrong or I am.

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor's answers say

[itex][ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 4 \end{array} \right),

\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 4 \\
0 & 1 \end{array} \right)] =

4 & 1 \\
0 & 4 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

But I get the answer

[itex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 3 \\
0 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

I won't go into explicit detail unless someone asks because I can't be bothered to do the latex, but can anyone confirm which answer is right? My professor does a lot of these through the solutions and I seem to be getting contradictory answers in each case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silversonic said:

Homework Statement

This is more about checking a solution I've been given is correct, because either my professor is consistently getting this wrong or I am.

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor's answers say

[itex][ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 4 \end{array} \right),

1 & 4 \\
0 & 1 \end{array} \right)] =

4 & 1 \\
0 & 4 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

But I get the answer

[itex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 3 \\
0 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

I won't go into explicit detail unless someone asks because I can't be bothered to do the latex, but can anyone confirm which answer is right? My professor does a lot of these through the solutions and I seem to be getting contradictory answers in each case.

Assuming GL(2,5) means invertible 2x2 matrices mod 5 and commutator means [A,B]=AB-BA, I don't get either answer. You don't have to TeX, just explain what you mean.

Dick said:
Assuming GL(2,5) means invertible 2x2 matrices mod 5 and commutator means [A,B]=AB-BA, I don't get either answer. You don't have to TeX, just explain what you mean.

Apologies, the the commutator of two elements x and y in a group is denoted [x,y], meaning

[itex] [x,y] = x^{-1}y^{-1}xy [/itex]

But everything else you said was correct, this is the group of invertible 2x2 matrices mod 5.

Silversonic said:
Apologies, the the commutator of two elements x and y in a group is denoted [x,y], meaning

[itex] [x,y] = x^{-1}y^{-1}xy [/itex]

But everything else you said was correct, this is the group of invertible 2x2 matrices mod 5.

Ah, ok. That makes more sense. If it's the group commutator not the matrix commutator, then I agree with your answer.

Related to Commutator of two element in GL(2,5)

1. What is the definition of a commutator?

A commutator is an element in a mathematical group that measures the extent to which the group is noncommutative. In simpler terms, it is a way to determine how much two elements in a group do not "commute" or exchange positions with each other.

2. How is the commutator of two elements in GL(2,5) calculated?

In GL(2,5), the commutator of two elements A and B is calculated using the formula [A, B] = AB - BA, where A and B are 2x2 matrices with elements from the finite field of order 5.

3. What is the significance of the commutator in GL(2,5)?

The commutator in GL(2,5) helps to determine whether the group is commutative or noncommutative. If the commutator is equal to the identity element, then the group is commutative. If the commutator is not equal to the identity element, then the group is noncommutative.

4. Can the commutator of two elements in GL(2,5) be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the commutator of two elements in GL(2,5) to be zero. This occurs when the two elements commute with each other, meaning they can be rearranged without changing the result.

5. How is the commutator used in the study of group theory?

The commutator is an important tool in group theory as it helps to classify groups into commutative and noncommutative groups. It also allows for the study of the structure of a group and can be used to prove results about the properties of a group.

Back