Comp Sci minor: worth it for a stats major?

In summary, having a computer science minor may not significantly boost your value on the labor market, but the knowledge gained from the courses can be beneficial in certain professions. It may not be worth staying an extra year in school for just the minor, unless you plan on attending grad school. Don't feel left behind if you do decide to graduate later, as many people do the same.
annoyinggirl
is comp sci minor worth it for stats major? Does it significantly boost value on the labor market?

Is it worth an extra year of school? Also, I'm 22 and feel left behind from my peers, who have graduated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's my understanding that what you need for a job programming is the ability to program (and you need to show that you can program). Have you taken any CS courses yet? Do you have any programming experience? I'd like to hear from someone with more experience, but personally I don't know if staying in school another year is worth the slight employment opportunity boost from a few CS courses, especially when all you really need is probably just to be able to show employers you can program.

A ton of people graduate late. Don't feel left behind.

Likes TheCanadian
annoyinggirl said:
is comp sci minor worth it for stats major?
It depends. Is having a minor on your resume likely to land you an interview (or job)? No. Is the knowledge you gain from completing those courses beneficial? Yes. If you take the courses purely to learn the content rather than just attain a minor, it may be helpful depending on the work you do professionally. However, I would not stay an extra year in school just for the sake of a minor unless I wanted to attend grad school in that field.

Related to Comp Sci minor: worth it for a stats major?

1. Is a Computer Science minor beneficial for a Statistics major?

Yes, a Computer Science minor can be highly beneficial for a Statistics major. It can provide you with a strong foundation in programming and data analysis, which are essential skills for a career in statistics.

2. Will a Computer Science minor make me more competitive in the job market?

Having a minor in Computer Science can definitely make you stand out in the job market. It shows that you have a diverse skill set and can handle both technical and analytical tasks.

3. How will a Computer Science minor complement my Statistics major?

A Computer Science minor can complement your Statistics major by providing you with a deeper understanding of data structures, algorithms, and programming languages. This can enhance your ability to analyze and interpret data, as well as create tools and models to solve complex problems.

4. Is it worth the extra time and effort to pursue a minor in Computer Science?

The answer to this question depends on your goals and career aspirations. If you are interested in pursuing a career in data science or other technical fields, then a minor in Computer Science can be very valuable. However, if your focus is solely on statistics, then you may want to consider other complementary minors or electives.

5. Can I still pursue a Computer Science minor if I have no prior programming experience?

Yes, you can still pursue a Computer Science minor even if you have no prior programming experience. Many universities offer introductory courses for students without a programming background, and you can also take advantage of online resources and coding bootcamps to build your skills. However, be prepared to put in extra time and effort to catch up with students who have prior experience.