Compact support functions and law of a random variable

psie
TL;DR Summary
I don't understand the characterization of the law of a random variable through continuous compact support functions. In particular, I don't understand why we need to consider the whole set of all these functions rather than a subset.
I'm reading in my probability book about characterizations of the law of a random variable, that is, the probability measure ##\mathbb P_X(A)=\mathbb P(X\in A)##. I read the following passage (I'm paraphrasing slightly):

Since the indicator function of an open rectangle (i.e. ##(a_1,b_1)\times (a_2,b_2)\times\cdots\times (a_n,b_n)##, for any choice of the reals ##a_1<b_1,\ldots,a_n<b_n##) is the increasing limit of a sequence of continuous functions with compact support, the probability measure ##\mu## is also determined by the values of ##\int \varphi\,\mu(\mathrm{d}x)## when ##\varphi## varies in the space ##C_c(\mathbb R^n)## of all continuous functions with compact support from ##\mathbb R^n## into ##\mathbb R##.

This extract is basically saying that if $$\mathbb E[\varphi(X)]:=\int \varphi\,\mathbb P_X(\mathrm{d}x)=\int \varphi\,\mathbb P_Y(\mathrm{d}x)=:\mathbb E[\varphi(Y)],\quad \varphi\in C_c(\mathbb R^n),$$then ##\mathbb P_X=\mathbb P_Y##. Indeed, if ##U## denotes an open rectangle and we define $$f_n(x)=\min\{n\cdot d(x,U^c),1\},\quad n\geq 1,$$then ##f_n## are continuous and have compact support (also, they are nonnegative), since the closure of ##U## is a closed rectangle, which is compact in ##\mathbb R^n##. And ##f_n\nearrow \mathbf1_U## as ##n\to\infty##, so by monotone convergence, $$\mathbb P_X(U)=\int \mathbf1_U\,\mathrm d\mathbb P_X=\lim_{n\to\infty}\int f_n\,\mathrm{d}\mathbb P_X=\lim_{n\to\infty}\int f_n\,\mathrm d \mathbb P_Y=\mathbb P_Y(U).$$ So ##\mathbb P_X=\mathbb P_Y## for all open rectangles, and by an argument one can make via the ##\pi-\lambda## theorem, they are equal.

Now, what troubles me is that, why does the author of the text stipulate that ##\varphi## needs to vary over all functions in ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)##? Isn't it enough, as I've shown, to just take the nonnegative continuous functions with compact support?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm overthinking things. If we have the information ##\mathbb E[\varphi(X)], \varphi\in C_c(\mathbb R^n)##, then we also have ##\mathbb E[\phi(X)]## for ##\phi## being a nonnegative, continuous function with compact support on ##\mathbb R^n##.

I guess what I was after was making the statement slightly weaker by demanding less; the nonnegative continuous functions with compact support on ##\mathbb R^n## are clearly a subset to ##C_c(\mathbb R^n)##.

This isn't Durrett anymore, isn't it? It would help to see the entire context and not just your personal view which might already be contaminated by your "overthinking".

No, it is Measure Theory, Probability and Stochastic Processes by Le Gall. I quote the whole relevant passage, as it is stated in the book. This passage appears in a section on expectation, in particular after a proposition that states that expectation of a function of random variable taking values in ##E## is simply ##\mathbb E[f(X)]=\int_E f(x)\,\mathbb P_X(\mathrm{d}x)##, i.e. the law of the unconscious statistician.

Characterization of the Law of a Random Variable It will be useful to characterize the law of a random variable in different ways. It follows from Corollory 1.19 that a probability measure ##\mu## on ##\mathbb R^d## is characterized by its values on open rectangles, that is, by the quantities ##\mu((a_1,b_1)\times (a_2,b_2)\times\cdots\times (a_d,b_d))##, for any choice of the reals ##a_1<b_1,\ldots,a_n<b_n## (one could restrict to rational values of ##a_i,b_i##, and/or replace open intervals by closed intervals). Since the indicator function of an open rectangle is the increasing limit of a sequence of continuous functions with compact support, the probability measure ##\mu## is also determined by the values of ##\int \varphi\,\mu(\mathrm{d}x)## when ##\varphi## varies in the space ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)## of all continuous functions with compact support from ##\mathbb R^d## into ##\mathbb R##.

Corollary 1.19 reads (only part (i) is relevant, as that part applies to finite measures):

Corollary 1.19 Let ##\mu## and ##\nu## be two measures on ##(E,\mathcal{A})##. Suppose that there exists a class ##\mathcal{C}\subset\mathcal{A}##, which is closed under finite intersections, such that ##\sigma(\mathcal{C})=\mathcal{A}## and ##\mu(A)=\nu(A)## for every ##A\in\mathcal{C}##.

(i) If ##\mu(E)=\nu(E)<\infty##, then we have ##\mu=\nu##.
(ii) If there exists an increasing sequence ##(E_n)_{n\in\mathbb N}## of elements of ##\mathcal{C}## such that ##E=\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb N}E_n## and ##\mu(E_n)=\nu(E_n)<\infty## for every ##n\in\mathbb N##, then ##\mu=\nu##.

Well, that's - other than Durrett - copyright protected so I cannot look it up and I'm not an expert in the field. Isn't the whole issue about exhausting an open set by a sequence of compact (and therefore measurable) subsets to get a reasonable definition for the probability for open, bounded sets? I'm not sure I get your point.

Likes psie
Well, I'm not sure I understand my worries either, but basically I'm reacting to the statement that a probability measure ##\mu## is determined by the values of ##\int \varphi\,\mu(\mathrm{d}x)## when ##\varphi## varies in ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)##. That integral could be negative, but a probability measure outputs only positive values, so I don't see why we'd be interested in varying ##\varphi## in all of ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)##. I think there are functions in ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)## that are not part of any sequence that converge to an indicator function of an open rectangle.

Regarding exhausting an open set by a sequence of compact subsets, I was looking at these exercises here earlier, in particular problem 1(a). I think that is kind of what you meant, but they use the Lebesgue measure.

psie said:
Well, I'm not sure I understand my worries either, but basically I'm reacting to the statement that a probability measure ##\mu## is determined by the values of ##\int \varphi\,\mu(\mathrm{d}x)## when ##\varphi## varies in ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)##. That integral could be negative, but a probability measure outputs only positive values, so I don't see why we'd be interested in varying ##\varphi## in all of ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)##. I think there are functions in ##C_c(\mathbb R^d)## that are not part of any sequence that converge to an indicator function of an open rectangle.

Regarding exhausting an open set by a sequence of compact subsets, I was looking at these exercises here earlier, in particular problem 1(a). I think that is kind of what you meant, but they use the Lebesgue measure.
Well, that would need a closer look at how these notations are defined. An integral is an oriented volume, so you can always get negative values, simply by the fact ##\int_a^b +\int_b^a =0.## That means you have to solve this system immanent problem anyway if you identify a probability with an integral, i.e. a volume.

Likes psie
There is an exercise on p. 122 Rosenthal has an exercise to prove the equivalence of 6 different conditions for measures being equivalent including the ones you mentioned.

I think the importance is that different characterizations will make proving different theorems easier.

Likes psie
Hmm, a technical point I may have missed/misunderstood: Given the indicator is ##1## within the open rectangles and ##0## elsewhere, it seems its support is the union of open rectangles and thus not compact. Am I missing something?

psie said:

There is such thing as signed measures.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signed_measure

Likes psie