Compactness of closed unit ball

In summary, the closed unit ball of l∞ is not compact because there exists a sequence of sequences in B(0,1) that does not have a convergent subsequence.
rainwyz0706

Homework Statement

Let l∞ be the space of bounded sequences of real numbers, endowed with the norm
∥x∥∞ = supn∈N |xn | , where x = (xn )n∈N .
Prove that the closed unit ball of l∞ , B(0, 1) = {x ∈ l∞ ; ∥x∥∞ ≤ 1} , is not compact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking about using the notion of sequential compactness, since every sequence Xn has an upper limit here, but I'm not sure if that would help much. Could anyone please give me a hint? Any input is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, use the sequential form. Find a sequence in B(0,1) with no convergent subsequence.

thanks for the reply, but I'm still not sure about which non-convergent sequence to choose, would something like 1/n work? I just don't know how to use the complete norm here.

rainwyz0706 said:
thanks for the reply, but I'm still not sure about which non-convergent sequence to choose, would something like 1/n work? I just don't know how to use the complete norm here.

Remember what the space is here. It's the set of bounded sequences. So a point in your space is itself a sequence. Thus a sequence in your space must in fact be a sequence of sequences. Give me some examples.

Related to Compactness of closed unit ball

What is the closed unit ball?

The closed unit ball is a set in a normed vector space that includes all points within a certain distance from the origin. In other words, it is the set of all points that have a norm less than or equal to 1.

What does it mean for the closed unit ball to be compact?

A set is considered compact if it is both closed and bounded. In the case of the closed unit ball, this means that it contains all of its boundary points and is limited in size, with a finite radius of 1.

Why is the compactness of the closed unit ball important?

The compactness of the closed unit ball is important because it allows us to make certain conclusions about the behavior of functions defined on this set. In particular, we can guarantee that continuous functions will have maximum and minimum values on the closed unit ball.

How is the compactness of the closed unit ball related to continuity?

The compactness of the closed unit ball is related to continuity because it ensures that continuous functions defined on this set will have bounded behavior. This means that the function will not have extreme or unbounded values on the closed unit ball.

Can the compactness of the closed unit ball vary in different normed vector spaces?

Yes, the compactness of the closed unit ball can vary in different normed vector spaces. For example, in finite-dimensional spaces, the closed unit ball is always compact, but in infinite-dimensional spaces, this may not always be the case.