Compare a series sum to it's equivelent integral

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compare the sum of 5/(n^1.1) from n=2 to infinity to the integral of the same function from 1 to infinity. By using a simpler function, 1/x, and graphing it with bars of width 1, it is determined that the sum is smaller than the integral. This method can be applied to the original problem to show that the sum is smaller than the integral.
stufletcher

Homework Statement

excuse my formatting.

compare

sum(from n=2 -> infinity) of 5/(n^1.1)

to

integral (from 1 -> infinity) of 5/(x^1.1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if it was sum and integrate from 2 it would be easy... the sum is a rienmann sum using right endpoints and delta-x of 1, and it's error will always be larger than it's integral on a decreasing curve.

however because the function is decreasing, and the integral starts at 1, not 2, i think i have to calculate the size of the error of the rienmann compared to it's integral from 2 -> infinity, and compare that to the integral from 1 ->2.

maybe I'm just having a brain coniption, but i can't seem to sum either the rienmann or the integral from 2 -> infinity... anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

stu

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to see what to do with a simpler function. Let's use 1/x.

Draw a graph, using bars of width 1 to represent each value, so you end up with a bar graph of 1/x. The sum of the area under the bars is the sum of 1/x. Now notice that you can have two curves, one joining up the top left corners of the all bars, and one joining up the top right corners. These curves are 1/x curves, but one of them is shifted along by 1 unit. The area under these curves can be found by integrating 1/x, between appropriate limits. Can you see how to apply this method to your problem?

it's always something simple isn't it..

area [tex]\frac{5}{x^{1.1}} * (x - (x-1)) < \int_{x-1}^x\frac{5}{x^{1.1}}dx[/tex]

for all values of positive x, so the sum must be smaller than the integral

thanks for the tip

stu

Last edited:

Related to Compare a series sum to it's equivelent integral

1. What is a series sum?

A series sum is the sum of all the terms in a sequence. It is calculated by adding each term in the sequence, starting from the first term and continuing until the last term.

2. What is an equivalent integral?

An equivalent integral is a mathematical expression that represents the area under a curve. It can also be thought of as a continuous version of a series sum.

3. How are series sums and equivalent integrals related?

Series sums and equivalent integrals are related because they both represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. The difference is that a series sum is a discrete sum, while an equivalent integral is a continuous sum under a curve.

4. When should I use a series sum versus an equivalent integral?

A series sum should be used when dealing with a discrete set of values, such as a finite sequence of numbers. An equivalent integral should be used when dealing with a continuous set of values, such as a function or curve.

5. Why is it important to compare a series sum to its equivalent integral?

Comparing a series sum to its equivalent integral can help us understand the relationship between discrete and continuous sums. It can also help us approximate the value of a series sum by using a known equivalent integral. Additionally, it is important in many mathematical and scientific fields, such as calculus and statistics.