Compare Smallest and Largest 3-Digit Numbers using Logical Operators

• C/C++
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a 3-digit positive integer, and the code provided compares the input with the smallest and largest 3-digit numbers to ensure it meets the criteria. Additional conditions are also added to eliminate any numbers that are not 3 digits and not positive.
ineedhelpnow
num is a 3-digit positive integer, such as 100, 989, or 523, but not 55, 1000, or -4.

For most direct readability, your expression should compare directly with the smallest and largest 3-digit number.

Code:
if ( (num >= 100)<STUDENT CODE> ) { 
}

so far i came up with
Code:
((num >= 100) && (?))
but i don't know how to write something that represents a 3 digit positive number?

Edit: nevermind. i figured it out to be && (num <= 999)

Technology news on Phys.org
Oh.
Good call!

Actually, I thought that:
Code:
((num >= 100) && (num != 55) && (num != 1000) && (num != -4))
would also work to satisfy the criteria.

by doing so you only eliminate those the three numbers though, right? while in fact what needs to be eliminated is any number that's not 3 digits and not positive.

ineedhelpnow said:
by doing so you only eliminate those the three numbers though, right? while in fact what needs to be eliminated is any number that's not 3 digits and not positive.

You're right!
I completely missed that condition.

FAQ: Compare Smallest and Largest 3-Digit Numbers using Logical Operators

1. What are logical operators?

Logical operators are symbols or keywords used in programming to perform logical operations, such as comparisons, between two or more values. They include && (logical AND), || (logical OR), and ! (logical NOT).

2. How do I compare numbers using logical operators?

To compare numbers using logical operators, you can use the && (logical AND) or || (logical OR) operators. For example, to compare if a number is greater than 100 and less than 999, you can use the following code: if (number > 100 && number < 999) { // do something }

3. What is the difference between the largest and smallest 3-digit numbers?

The largest 3-digit number is 999 and the smallest 3-digit number is 100. The difference between them is 899.

4. How do I find the largest and smallest 3-digit numbers using logical operators?

To find the largest and smallest 3-digit numbers using logical operators, you can use the logical AND operator && in combination with comparison operators such as > (greater than) and < (less than). For example, to find the largest 3-digit number, you can use the code if (number > 99 && number < 1000) { // do something }

5. Can I compare numbers using logical operators in any programming language?

Yes, logical operators can be used in various programming languages, including but not limited to Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. The syntax may vary slightly between languages, but the general concept remains the same.

Back