Comparing Current, Force, B Field, Magnetism

In summary, using the right hand rule and understanding the contributions of both I1 and I2 to the overall magnetic field can help determine the direction of the force on the particle.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

Please see the attachment and see where i went wrong... simple T/F questions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what i tried

1. T (Right hand rule for both I1 and I2 where I2=-I1
2. F (Since I2 has no current, there is no B field from I2 so the B field is from the right hand rule of I1 making the field point down)
3. T There is no force on the particle if there is no velocity
4. T (force is perp to the b Field and since the B field point s down, force must be into the page
5. F again force should be into the page
6. T b field from I2 is out of the page so th froce is perpendicular making it point down
7. T Opposite force directions should make the lines repel?

PLEASE HELP

Attachments

• PP Help.jpg
    PP Help.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you have the right idea for most of these questions! Here are some corrections and explanations for the ones you got wrong:

1. T is correct. The right hand rule applies to both I1 and I2, so since I2 is equal and opposite to I1, its magnetic field will also be equal and opposite.
2. F is incorrect. Both I1 and I2 contribute to the overall magnetic field at the location of the particle, so the B field cannot be determined using just the right hand rule for I1.
3. T is correct. The particle will only experience a force if it has a velocity perpendicular to the magnetic field.
4. T is correct. The force on the particle will be perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field, and since the B field is down, the force will be into the page.
5. F is incorrect. The force will still be into the page, as explained in the previous question.
6. T is correct. The B field from I2 is out of the page, so the force will be perpendicular to both the velocity and the B field, making it point down.
7. T is correct. Since the forces on the particle are in opposite directions, they will repel each other.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Comparing Current, Force, B Field, Magnetism

1. What is the difference between current and force?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor, while force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or deform. In other words, current is the movement of charged particles, while force is the push or pull on an object.

2. How does the B field relate to magnetism?

The B field, also known as the magnetic field, is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of a magnetic force. Magnetism is the force that attracts or repels certain materials, and it is caused by the movement of charged particles in the B field.

3. What is the significance of comparing current and B field?

Comparing current and B field allows us to understand how an electric current can create a magnetic field. This relationship is described by Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field produced by a current is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the current.

4. How does magnetism affect the force on an object?

Magnetism can affect the force on an object in various ways. If the object is made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or nickel, it will experience a magnetic force and be attracted to or repelled from a magnet. If the object has a current flowing through it, it will also experience a magnetic force due to the interaction between the current and the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of comparing current and B field?

One common application is in the design of electric motors, which use the interaction between a current-carrying wire and a magnetic field to produce rotational motion. Another example is in particle accelerators, where powerful magnetic fields are used to guide and control the path of charged particles. Additionally, many medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, rely on the relationship between current and B field to produce detailed images of the body's tissues.