Comparing Energy Efficiency of New vs Recycled Paper

In summary, in order to compare energy efficiency between new paper and recycled paper, the energy required for each process must be converted into the same unit, such as Joules. It is important to consider factors such as different time periods, transportation costs, and the entire timeline of the process. It may also be useful to discuss the scope of the problem with others and potentially use simulations to strengthen data results.
soonsoon88
How i am going to compare energy efficiency between new paper and recycle paper ?
in order to compare them, i have to convert all the energy require in those process into the same unit right ?
By using Joule ? or ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Joule is the unit of energy (kilojoule = 1000 joules, megajoule = 1000 kilojoules etc), and to compare the energy between processes, converting each process to similar units sounds good.

When comparing these processes however, be wary of different time periods (J/s compared to MJ/year), keep in mind costs like transport (how big a truck/ship, and how far to travel), think about the entire time line of the process (does the energy to grow / harvest / transport trees factor in) and figure out early on what is relevant and what is not (discuss the scope of the problem with people for different viewpoints)!

Zryn said:
Joule is the unit of energy (kilojoule = 1000 joules, megajoule = 1000 kilojoules etc), and to compare the energy between processes, converting each process to similar units sounds good.

When comparing these processes however, be wary of different time periods (J/s compared to MJ/year), keep in mind costs like transport (how big a truck/ship, and how far to travel), think about the entire time line of the process (does the energy to grow / harvest / transport trees factor in) and figure out early on what is relevant and what is not (discuss the scope of the problem with people for different viewpoints)!

Cost did cross my mind but since my topic is compare energy efficiency. is it ok for me to involve cost during comparison?
Take an example,
If all the cost involved in delivery for making new paper is higher than recycled paper.
Besides knowing cost value,what does it mean for me to relate energy efficiency ?

Don't forget the energy overhead of employees who drive to work, and the energy overhead of public functionaries who monitor so called ecology friendly government kickbacks.

If it takes $100 worth of diesal (?? MJoules/litre; I can't remember the value) to fill a truck with a 50 litre capacity tank and a 15% efficient engine which can carry 10tonne of new paper per delivery and the driver can drive back and forth 3 times between the paper manufacturer and the wholesaler, then you can figure out how much energy it costs to send each tonne of paper, as you will end up with joules/tonne. Do the same for the other modes of transport and you have your cost in energy instead of dollars.

The question is, do you want Joules/sheet of paper, Joules/ream of paper (500 sheets) or perhaps Joules/tonne of paper?

Zryn said:
If it takes $100 worth of diesal (?? MJoules/litre; I can't remember the value) to fill a truck with a 50 litre capacity tank and a 15% efficient engine which can carry 10tonne of new paper per delivery and the driver can drive back and forth 3 times between the paper manufacturer and the wholesaler, then you can figure out how much energy it costs to send each tonne of paper, as you will end up with joules/tonne. Do the same for the other modes of transport and you have your cost in energy instead of dollars.

The question is, do you want Joules/sheet of paper, Joules/ream of paper (500 sheets) or perhaps Joules/tonne of paper?

OKOK ! Thx ! i got what u mean !
May i ask for future ?
Besides collection data from different both factory..
Is it just do normal comparison..
am i need any simulation ??

Depends on how much work you want to put in. Collection of data is good, but what happens if you make a mistake somewhere and don't see it?

The result of a simulation would strengthen your collection data results if they agree, or show you if you made a mistake somewhere if they disagreed. Useful either way, but perhaps time consuming.

Related to Comparing Energy Efficiency of New vs Recycled Paper

1. What is the difference in energy efficiency between new and recycled paper?

The energy efficiency of new paper and recycled paper varies depending on the specific manufacturing processes used. In general, recycled paper can be more energy efficient because it requires less energy to produce compared to new paper. This is because recycled paper uses less water, chemicals, and energy to process the raw materials. However, the energy efficiency of recycled paper can also depend on the distance the paper must travel to reach the recycling facility and the type of energy used in the recycling process.

2. How much energy is saved by using recycled paper?

The amount of energy saved by using recycled paper can vary, but on average, it takes about 60% less energy to produce recycled paper compared to new paper. This is because producing recycled paper does not require the same amount of resources and energy as producing new paper. Additionally, using recycled paper reduces the need for harvesting new trees, which also saves energy and resources.

3. Is the energy used to recycle paper considered renewable energy?

The energy used to recycle paper can come from both renewable and non-renewable sources. Some recycling facilities use renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power, while others may use non-renewable sources like fossil fuels. However, even if non-renewable energy is used in the recycling process, it still results in a lower overall carbon footprint compared to producing new paper.

4. Is there a difference in the quality of new and recycled paper?

The quality of new and recycled paper can vary, but in most cases, there is no noticeable difference. Recycled paper can be just as high quality and durable as new paper, as long as it has been properly processed and manufactured. In fact, many recycled paper products can be of higher quality because they have been through additional refining processes to remove impurities.

5. Are there any other environmental benefits to using recycled paper?

Yes, there are several other environmental benefits to using recycled paper. As mentioned before, using recycled paper reduces the need for harvesting new trees, which helps to conserve forests and the wildlife that depend on them. Additionally, recycling paper also reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills, which can help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and water pollution. Overall, using recycled paper helps to conserve natural resources and protect the environment.