Comparing Hall Voltage of Bars 1 & 2

• Thread starter bbuilder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, two identical metal bars, 1 and 2, are placed in a uniform magnetic field and carry the same amount of current in a direction perpendicular to the field. However, bar 2 has twice the width of bar 1. The Hall voltage of bar 2 is expected to be two times greater than that of bar 1 due to the equation E=V/d. The Hall effect is not necessary to determine this relationship.
bbuilder

Homework Statement

Two metal bars, 1 and 2, are identical in all ways, except that bar 2 has twice the width of 1. The bars are parallel to each other, but far apart from each other, in a uniform magnetic field and carry the same amount of current in a direction perpendicular to the field. How does the Hall voltage of bar 2 compare to that of bar 1?

Homework Equations

The equation for Hall effect is nq=(-JB/E). I know that I can relate E to V by using E=(V/d).

The Attempt at a Solution

If the width of bar 2 is twice the with of bar 1, then (because of E=V/d) the voltage of 2 would be two times greater than bar 1. I'm confused about why I need to use the Hall effect if I can just use E=V/d.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Comparing Hall Voltage of Bars 1 & 2

1. What is the purpose of comparing the Hall voltage of bars 1 and 2?

The purpose of comparing the Hall voltage of bars 1 and 2 is to determine the difference in the magnetic field strength between the two bars. This can provide information about the material properties of the bars or about the presence of any external magnetic fields.

2. How is the Hall voltage of bars 1 and 2 measured?

The Hall voltage is measured by placing the bars in a magnetic field and using a voltmeter to measure the voltage difference between the two ends of the bars. The Hall effect, which is the generation of a voltage perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field, is used to determine the Hall voltage.

3. What factors can affect the Hall voltage measurement of bars 1 and 2?

The Hall voltage measurement can be affected by several factors including the material properties of the bars, the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, and any external magnetic fields that may be present. Additionally, the temperature and current flowing through the bars can also impact the Hall voltage measurement.

4. How can the results of comparing the Hall voltage of bars 1 and 2 be interpreted?

The results of comparing the Hall voltage of bars 1 and 2 can be interpreted in terms of the difference in the magnetic field strength between the two bars. A larger difference in the Hall voltage can indicate a larger difference in the magnetic field strength, while a smaller difference may indicate a more similar magnetic field strength between the two bars.

5. What are the potential applications of comparing the Hall voltage of bars 1 and 2?

The comparison of Hall voltage can have various applications such as in material characterization, detection of magnetic fields, and in electronic devices such as sensors and switches. It can also be used to study the behavior of different materials in the presence of magnetic fields and can provide valuable insights in the field of material science and engineering.