Comparing means from SAME sample

• Thread starter HPR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary, the speaker has conducted an experiment with a sample size of 40 participants from a large population. They are seeking help in understanding the statistical significance of their results and whether they are interpreting them correctly. They have two main questions: 1) Can they confidently say that A will be the most preferred option for the majority of the population, and can they say with even greater confidence that A will be preferred by more of the population than B or C? 2) How can they compare two different variables from the same sample and determine which one is preferred with a certain level of confidence? The speaker suggests using p-value maximization to approach these questions, but is unsure if this is the best method. They welcome any suggestions or
HPR
I've done an experiment with human participants, n=40, so it's a large sample n>=30 from a large population. Now I'm trying to understand the statistical significance of my results and verify that I am interpreting things properly. This type of study is NOT my area of expertise.

I'm basically looking for clarification on the following points, for somebody to read what I've done and give me a reason why it's OK or why it's not OK. I appreciate the help so much.

1)

First off, if I've asked participants which of A,B or C do they "most prefer", and I have gotten results back along the lines of 68%, 20%, 12% respectively. I can then say pretty easily that "with a 98% confidence level, A will be the most preferred for the majority of the population", using z scores. This I am confident about. But can I say, with some even greater level of confidence, that A will be most preferred by more of the population than either B or C (but not necessarily the majority of the population)? A plurality of the population will prefer A, basically. Is that possible, and how would I do that?

2)

Now let's say I've asked participants to rank preferences with numerical values, so I've had 40 people give me there "rankings" from 0-7 for X and Y. And so I can have an average an standard deviation for X and Y values. And I can construct confidence intervals, where we can say with 95% confidence that X will be within some interval around X, and same idea with Y.

So, for instance:

X = 80 +/- 10
Y = 50 +/- 15

with 95% confidence level.

Then, can I say that because 50+15=65 and 80-10=70, that I have 95% confidence that X>Y? I want to say this, but I think I can't.

When I google comparing means of samples, they talk about having two different populations, and they usually talk about sampling the same variable from two different populations. What I want to do is compare two different variables, but taken from the same sample. How do I do that?

My only idea is to subtract pairwise the value of every X,Y obtained from the participants. So if my data was:

Particpants 1 2 3 4
X = 10 11 12 14
Y = 11 10 14 12
X-Y= -1 1 -2 2

I could then take the average and standard deviation of X-Y, and if the confidence interval I constructed did not contain 0, then I could say X>Y with x degree of confidence. Is this the case?

Thanks so, so much to anyone that can point me in the right direction here!

Physics news on Phys.org
HPR said:
But can I say, with some even greater level of confidence, that A will be most preferred by more of the population than either B or C (but not necessarily the majority of the population)?

Good question. I'm not sure if this is how others would do it, but I'd approach the majority & plurality questions via p-value maximization.

If we write the majority question in terms null/alternative hypotheses

H0: pA<=1/2
H1: pA>1/2

with p-value p=Prob(N>=27) where N is Binomial(40,pA), then the p-value is maximized at 0.02 under H0 with pA=1/2 - so your reasoning so far seems ok.

For the plurality question if we use the null/alternative hypotheses

H0: pA<=pB or pA<=pC
H1: pA>pB and pA>pC

with p=Prob(N>=27) as before, and again this value is maximized under H0 with pA=1/2 and pB=1/2 and pC=0 (or pB=0 and pC=1/2) - but this seems to imply that we are no more confident of the plurality than the majority.

Maybe someone can suggest a way to include the proportions that prefer B or C in the hypothesis tests?

Related to Comparing means from SAME sample

1. What is the purpose of comparing means from the same sample?

The purpose of comparing means from the same sample is to determine if there is a significant difference between two or more variables within the same group or population. This can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships between the variables and provide insights into the data.

2. How is the mean calculated for a sample?

The mean for a sample is calculated by adding all of the values in the sample and dividing by the total number of values. This gives an average of the values in the sample and is represented by the symbol "x̄".

3. What statistical test is used to compare means from the same sample?

The most commonly used statistical test to compare means from the same sample is the paired t-test. This test is used when the same group of participants is measured or tested twice, such as before and after an intervention.

4. How do you interpret the results of comparing means from the same sample?

The results of comparing means from the same sample will typically include a p-value, which indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results by chance. If the p-value is less than the chosen significance level (usually 0.05), then there is a significant difference between the means. Additionally, the mean difference and confidence interval can also be used to interpret the results.

5. What are the potential limitations of comparing means from the same sample?

One potential limitation of comparing means from the same sample is that it can only provide insights into the specific group or population being studied. The results may not be generalizable to other groups or populations. Additionally, the sample size and variability of the data can also impact the accuracy and significance of the results.