Comparing parametric equations

In summary, the parametric equations for x = t and x = e^t look different, c has a negative slope at the beginning and end, and x = t is exponential.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Compare the curves represented by the the parametric equations. How do they differ?
a.) x =t , y = t^-2
b.) x = cost , y = (sect)^2
c.) x = e^t , y = e^(-2t)

Homework Equations

So I drew them on the calculator they all look like umm... how do I describe this picture the x and y-axis ...now picture ...well just picture 1/x^2 that is what they kind look like.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just having issue coming up with a reasonable explanation. I'm not sure they all pretty much look the same. . Maybe I can say that the rate at which T changes ? So for equation a.) with one change in t you get one change in x and in y you get smaller and smaller changes in it as t increases. Which is slower then say equation b? I don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Compare the curves represented by the the parametric equations. How do they differ?
a.) x =t , y = t^-2

Homework Equations

So I drew them on the calculator they all look like umm... how do I describe this picture the x and y-axis ...now picture ...well just picture 1/x^2 that is what they kind look like.

I'm just having issue coming up with a reasonable explanation. I'm not sure they all pretty much look the same. . Maybe I can say that the rate at which T changes ? So for equation a.) with one change in t you get one change in x and in y you get smaller and smaller changes in it as t increases. Which is slower then say equation b? I don't know

Think about the point on each graph that corresponds to various values of t, say t = 0. Also think about the orientation. As t increases, which direction does a point move along the curve?

Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

a.) x =t , y = t^-2

Homework Equations

Note that in (b) you have [itex]-1 \leq x(t) \leq 1[/itex] (and there's a problem with y when [itex]x(t) = 0[/itex]), but in (a) and (c) [itex]x \geq 0[/itex].

How does a an c differ also? Thanks for response

What's the difference in the graphs of x = t vs. x = et, aside from the obvious difference in the shapes?

Hmm. Well lol one is exponential? I don't know. x = e^t goes faster?

No well x = t is neg to pos inf. and x = e^t is but x will never be 0 here

Seems like that's an important difference between the graphs of a and c.

FAQ: Comparing parametric equations

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe a relationship between two variables, typically denoted by x and y. Unlike traditional equations, parametric equations use a third variable, typically denoted by t, to represent the independent variable.

How are parametric equations different from traditional equations?

Parametric equations use a third variable to represent the independent variable, while traditional equations directly relate two variables. Additionally, parametric equations can describe nonlinear relationships, while traditional equations are limited to linear relationships.

Why are parametric equations useful?

Parametric equations are useful because they can describe complex curves and shapes that cannot be represented by traditional equations. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to describe motion and trajectories.

How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by substituting different values for the independent variable t. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the equations and see the resulting curve.

What are some examples of parametric equations?

Some common examples of parametric equations include the equations for a circle, a parabola, and a spiral. These equations are often used in mathematics and physics to describe various shapes and phenomena.

Back