Comparing Pit Depths for Dropped Objects

In summary, an object dropped from rest into a pit accelerated due to gravity at 10m/s^2 and hit the ground in 5 seconds. Another rock was dropped into a second pit and hit the ground in 10 seconds. Using the formula "d=d0 + v0 t + (1/2)a t^2" (assuming constant acceleration), it can be determined that the second pit is 4 times deeper than the first pit.
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

An object is dropped from rest into a pit and accelerates due to gravity at roughly 10m/s^2. It hits the ground in 5 seconds. A rock is then dropped from rest into a second pit and hits the ground in ten seconds.How much deeper is the second pit. no air resistance.

Homework Equations

not used

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure the answer is 4 times.
but I am not 100%. is it sort of like braking from one velocity to stop then a second(half as much) to stop and finding the distance it takes to stop.because that's four times as long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey pg! :smile:

Let's get back to formulas.
Do you know a relevant formula from which you could calculate the depth of the pit?

what if i do a=d/t/t
so it would be 10m/s^2=d/5s/5s
250m=d

same formula
10m/s^2=d/10s/10s
1000m=d

Hmm, "a=d/t/t" is not a correct formula.

You either should have [itex]a = {d^2x \over dt^2}[/itex],
or what would suit your problem:
[tex]d = {1 \over 2}g t^2[/tex]

but a=d/t/t is eaual to a=v/t

physicsgurl12 said:
but a=d/t/t is eaual to a=v/t

Not quite.
v=d/t gives you the "average" speed during the entire drop.
The actual speed starts at zero and increases to some maximum.
Assuming the acceleration is constant, the corresponding acceleration is actually a=2 d/t/t.

In other words, you cannot just use "a=v/t" or "v=d/t".
You should use: "d=d0 + v0 t + (1/2)a t^2" (assuming acceleration a is constant).
And: "v=v0 + a t" (again assuming a is constant).

I like Serena said:
You either should have [itex]a = {d^2x \over dt^2}[/itex],
or what would suit your problem:
[tex]d = {1 \over 2}g t^2[/tex]

okay well i used this and still got four.

Yep! :smile:

(Sorry to drag this out, but now you did it with the proper formula. :wink:)

haha its okay as long as i understand.i want to do well on my test.:)

Related to Comparing Pit Depths for Dropped Objects

What is "pit dropping time difference"?

Pit dropping time difference is the difference in time it takes for an object to fall from the top of a pit to the bottom, compared to the time it would take for the object to fall from the same height without a pit present.

What causes pit dropping time difference?

Pit dropping time difference is caused by air resistance and the shape of the pit. As an object falls, it pushes air out of the way, creating resistance. The presence of a pit can also affect the object's trajectory, leading to a longer or shorter fall time.

How is pit dropping time difference measured?

Pit dropping time difference can be measured using a stopwatch or other time-keeping device. The object is dropped from the top of the pit and the time it takes to reach the bottom is recorded. This process is repeated without the pit, and the two times are compared to determine the difference.

What factors can affect pit dropping time difference?

The size and shape of the pit, the height from which the object is dropped, and the weight and shape of the object can all affect pit dropping time difference. Other factors such as air temperature and air density can also play a role.

What is the significance of studying pit dropping time difference?

Studying pit dropping time difference can provide insights into the effects of air resistance and the shape of objects on their falling speed. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as engineering, physics, and aerodynamics, to improve designs and understand the behavior of objects in motion.