Comparing Topology Textbooks: A Scientist's Perspective

In summary: Thank you for your question. I haven't looked into those specific books, but I would recommend these:1. Analysis: A Modern Approach, by Stanley and Steenrod2. An Introduction to Modern Analysis, by Radcliffe and Keisler3. Real Analysis, by Banach
SrVishi
Hello, I am trying to relearn Topology. I have already read through a good amount of Munkres' book, but I was thinking of going through another. I have come across "Elementary Topology: A Problem Textbook" http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~olegviro/topoman/e-unstable.pdf by Viro and others through another thread. Is this a good book? How does this compare to other books such as Munkres, Kelley, Dugundji, and Willard in terms of the amount of material and level? I'd assume that a book that has you essentially work through topology would be a good analogue to a rigorous higher level book such as Kelley and Dugundji (I could be wrong of course). As a note, I won't mind if it doesn't have the best section on Algebraic Topology since I was planning on going through Hatcher's book afterwards. Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
it seems to be an excellent book, especially if you work through it as intended by its authors.

Last edited:
Yes, the book is excellent. It's one of my favorite books on topology. It will definitely take a lot of time to get through it though.

Thanks for your replies! Well, I have lot's of time to go through with it, and it looks like it will be really fun to go through so I'm excited to get started on it. I wish there were more books that were structured like this that were of this quality and covered this much material for other subjects.

Ah, thanks! I really do like the idea of this. DO you know of any good ones for analysis? I have seen a few, but can't decide on which of them.

Related to Comparing Topology Textbooks: A Scientist's Perspective

1. What topics does this topology book cover?

This topology book covers a variety of topics including point-set topology, algebraic topology, and differential topology.

2. Is this topology book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this topology book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually introduces more advanced concepts.

3. Are there any exercises or practice problems in this topology book?

Yes, this topology book includes many exercises and practice problems to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

4. How is the organization and structure of this topology book?

The topology book is well-organized and follows a clear structure, making it easy for readers to follow and understand the material.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources included with this topology book?

Yes, this topology book may include supplemental materials such as online resources, additional practice problems, or study guides.