Comparing TTL and CMOS Gate Characteristics

• Thread starter Zeuss1220
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos Ttl
In summary: There is an important term "fan out". (Try googling it.) Address that as it applies to your two different logic gate technologies.
Zeuss1220

Homework Statement

We just did an experiment on the input and output characteristics of TTL and CMOS NAND gates. We recorded the following data for each of the two gates.
1) Input Threshold Voltage
2) Input Current(for input logic 1 and 0)
3) Output Voltage(for output logic 1 and 0)
4) Output Sourcing Current(for 3 voltages)
5) Output Sinking Current

We haven't had the lecture on this topic so I'm quite unclear about this. We are required to compare both devices with regard to:
i) input threshold voltage and measured input current for logic 0 input
ii) output voltage for logic level 1 and 0
iii) sourcing current and sinking current

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I've read online, CMOS is said to have low power consumption. But i don't know how to apply this information to answer my questions. I would like to know some basic infomation related to this topic and the question so I can answer these question by looking at my own data.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what differences you noticed in:

1. Input current for logic 0.

2. Output sourcing current.

3. Input high threshold voltage.

uart said:
Tell us what differences you noticed in:

1. Input current for logic 0.

2. Output sourcing current.

3. Input high threshold voltage.

1.CMOS: 0mA, TTL: -0.2mA

2. (Voltages used: 3.5V, 3.25V, 3.0V) CMOS: 3.3mA, 3.6mA, 4.0mA. TTL: 0.06mA, 18.6mA, 27.1mA

3. CMOS: 2.68V, TTL: 1.025V

I'm not sure what to deduce from these

Zeuss1220 said:
Not much at all as far as power efficiency goes. You really needed to measure the current drawn from the power supply under various conditions to be able to make an enlightened comparison of power demands.

But with the lab's purpose being to compare thresholds and drive capabilities, you are not really looking at power efficiency.

NascentOxygen said:
Not much at all as far as power efficiency goes. You really needed to measure the current drawn from the power supply under various conditions to be able to make an enlightened comparison of power demands.

But with the lab's purpose being to compare thresholds and drive capabilities, you are not really looking at power efficiency.

So how do you think I should answer the 3 questions above? What are the characteristic differences involved?

Zeuss1220 said:
1.CMOS: 0mA, TTL: -0.2mA

2. (Voltages used: 3.5V, 3.25V, 3.0V) CMOS: 3.3mA, 3.6mA, 4.0mA. TTL: 0.06mA, 18.6mA, 27.1mA

3. CMOS: 2.68V, TTL: 1.025V

Those are some pretty significant differences in input-loading, output current sourcing, and input threshold. Yes?

uart said:
Those are some pretty significant differences in input-loading, output current sourcing, and input threshold. Yes?

Yes. But I don't how what characteristic differences they represent.

Zeuss1220 said:
Yes. But I don't how what characteristic differences they represent.
There is an important term "fan out". (Try googling it.) Address that as it applies to your two different logic gate technologies.

Related to Comparing TTL and CMOS Gate Characteristics

1. What are TTL and CMOS gates?

TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic) and CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) are two types of digital logic families used in electronic circuits. They are used to implement logic functions such as AND, OR, and NOT.

2. What is the main difference between TTL and CMOS gates?

The main difference between TTL and CMOS gates is the technology used to create them. TTL gates use bipolar transistors, while CMOS gates use a combination of both NMOS (n-channel metal-oxide-semiconductor) and PMOS (p-channel metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistors.

3. Which is faster, TTL or CMOS gates?

TTL gates are generally faster than CMOS gates because bipolar transistors can switch states more quickly than the MOS transistors used in CMOS gates. However, CMOS gates have improved in speed over the years and can now match or even surpass TTL gates in certain applications.

4. Which is more power-efficient, TTL or CMOS gates?

CMOS gates are more power-efficient than TTL gates. This is because CMOS gates use less power when switching states, and they consume almost no power when not switching. In contrast, TTL gates draw a continuous current, even when not switching.

5. Which type of gate should I use in my circuit?

The choice between TTL and CMOS gates depends on the specific requirements of your circuit. If you need high speed and can tolerate higher power consumption, TTL gates may be a good choice. If power efficiency is a priority and speed is not a major concern, CMOS gates may be a better option.