Comparing weighted means in two sets of data

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining whether the weighted average of a set of measurements is significantly different from the weighted average of the first n measurements. The equations and tests for t-tests and statistical significance are mentioned, as well as the sources for further information on the topic. The individual also shares their own progress and equations for the assignment.
bottles

Homework Statement

For simplicity, I'm leaving out extraneous details (like actual numbers). Also, apologies for my formatting; I don't know how to use Latex, but I tried to make this as readable as possible. I have a set of N measurements for τ which each have their own standard deviations, and I need to determine whether the weighted average of the N measurements is significantly different from the weighted average of the first n (= N-2) of the measurements.

Homework Equations

I've read a bunch on t-tests, but I'm confused and not sure how to use one. Part of the problem is that I don't know exactly what true means/variances refer to (so I don't know if they're known or unknown in this case). I considered using a paired test somehow, but I don't think that will work since the sample sizes are different. This is for a physics assignment, but I'm trying to answer a question asking me to discuss the difference in the two means, and I don't know how to do that other than with testing for statistical significance (and I don't know how to do that in this case... things were so much more clear back in Intro to Statistics).

I'm getting most of my information about this from https://controls.engin.umich.edu/wiki/index.php/Comparisons_of_two_means. These are the four tests that wiki lists:
  • σ = the known standard deviation of the population
  • s = the standard deviation of the data set
  • |a| = average of a

I. unknown true means; sample standard deviations approx. equal:
t = [(|x1|-|x2|)/Spooled]*√[Nn/(N+n)]
Spooled = √{[s21(N-1) + s22(n-1)]/(N+n-2)}

II. unknown true means; known, true, unequal standard deviations:
z = (|x1|-|x2|)/√[σ21/N + σ22/n]

III. unknown true means; unknown true standard deviations:
t = (|x1|-|x2|)/√[s21/N + s22/n]​

IV. paired data:
t = |d|/(sd/√N)
|d| = the mean of the differences for a sample of the two measurements
sd = the standard deviation of the sampled differences
N = the number of measurements in the sample​

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done this so far:

weighted averages:
μN = Ʃ(xi2i)/Ʃ(1/σ2i)
μn = Ʃ(xi2i)/Ʃ(1/σ2i)

standard deviations in the weighted means:
σN = √[1/Ʃ(1/σ2i)]
σn = √[1/Ʃ(1/σ2i)]

difference in the means:
Δτ = |μNn| ± √[σ2N + σ2n]

The first four are equations given by the professor for other parts of the assignment. They're supposed to give a 68.3% chance of the true value lying within μ ± σ and a 95.5% of the true value lying within μ ± 2σ. I want to believe that 95.5% means I have a 95.5% confidence interval, but that seems off to me. Also, I don't know whether the σ in these equations is the same as the σ in the equations I found for the t-test.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Comparing weighted means in two sets of data

1. What is the purpose of comparing weighted means in two sets of data?

The purpose of comparing weighted means in two sets of data is to determine if there is a statistically significant difference between the average values of two groups. It allows researchers to analyze and compare the data in a way that takes into account the different weights or importance of each data point.

2. How is the weighted mean calculated?

The weighted mean is calculated by multiplying each data point by its weight and then dividing the sum of these values by the total weight. This takes into account the varying importance of each data point and gives a more accurate representation of the average value.

3. What is the difference between weighted and unweighted means?

The unweighted mean is calculated by simply taking the average of all the data points, while the weighted mean takes into account the different weights or importance of each data point. This means that the weighted mean is a more precise measure of the central tendency of the data.

4. When should weighted means be used?

Weighted means should be used when the data being analyzed has different levels of importance or weight. This could be due to varying sample sizes or the significance of each data point. Using a weighted mean allows for a more accurate comparison of the data.

5. How do you determine if the difference between two weighted means is statistically significant?

To determine if the difference between two weighted means is statistically significant, a statistical test such as a t-test or ANOVA can be used. These tests compare the difference between the means to the variation within each group and provide a p-value, which indicates the likelihood of obtaining the observed difference by chance. A p-value of less than 0.05 is generally considered to be statistically significant.