Comparisons of Mathematica, MapleSoft and MatLab

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between Mathematica, Maple, and Matlab as programs for learning higher math and physics. The speaker expresses a preference for Mathematica, but acknowledges that their choice was made when Maple was unstable. They also note that Matlab is different as it is only numeric and not symbolic. The conversation suggests that Matlab should be compared to IDL rather than included in the same list as Mathematica and Maple. It is also mentioned that while Matlab does have some symbolic packages, they are not as refined as those in Mathematica which also offers a wide range of packages for various purposes.
LouMazero
I am looking to invest some time into learning one of these programs, higher math and physics, can someone contrast and compare these programs, strengths/weaknesses etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Mathematica best, but I made my choice back when Maple was really unstable. Really MatLab is a different thing entirely since it is just numeric and not symbolic. I wouldn't put them on the same list, I would put MatLab on a list with IDL instead.

Matlab DOES have symbolic packages, but it is nowhere near mathematica's level of refinement. Mathematica also has a crazy amount of packages for all different things.

Related to Comparisons of Mathematica, MapleSoft and MatLab

1. What are the main differences between Mathematica, MapleSoft and MatLab?

Mathematica, MapleSoft and MatLab are all powerful computational software packages used by scientists and engineers for various purposes. While all three have similar capabilities in terms of mathematical and data analysis functions, they differ in their user interface, programming language, and overall focus. Mathematica is known for its intuitive interface and powerful symbolic computation abilities, MapleSoft is known for its advanced mathematical and engineering analysis capabilities, and MatLab is known for its strong programming language and data visualization tools.

2. Which software is the most user-friendly for beginners?

This is a subjective question as it depends on the individual's preferences and background. However, Mathematica is often considered to have the most user-friendly interface, making it a popular choice for beginners. It also has a large community of users and extensive documentation, making it easy for beginners to find support and resources.

3. Can all three software packages handle complex mathematical computations?

Yes, all three software packages are capable of handling complex mathematical computations. They have advanced functions for algebra, calculus, statistics, and more. However, some users may find certain packages more suitable for specific types of computations, depending on their needs and expertise.

4. Which software is best for data analysis and visualization?

All three software packages have robust data analysis and visualization capabilities. However, MatLab is often considered the top choice for data analysis and visualization due to its strong programming language and extensive toolbox options. MapleSoft also has powerful data analysis tools, while Mathematica is known for its interactive data visualization features.

5. Are there any notable price differences between the software packages?

Yes, there are significant price differences between the software packages. Mathematica and MapleSoft are commercial software and require a license fee for use, while MatLab offers a free version for non-commercial use. However, all three packages have various pricing options and discounts for students and academic institutions.