Compass and Magnetic Susceptibility

In summary, Luca from Italy is discussing the technical setting of using a compass/magnetometer to measure the Earth's magnetic field. However, the field measured by the magnetometer is not the true H_earth, but a combination of H_earth, H_induced, and H_permanent. H_induced is influenced by magnetizable material in the environment while H_permanent is a fixed vector. To simulate this scenario on Matlab, Luca asks for help in understanding the coefficients of the susceptibility matrix K and if it is possible to simplify them. Luca also asks about the possibility of measuring and simulating Magnetic Susceptibility.
fenestren
Hi all,

I'm Luca from Italy.

This is the technical setting.

Assuming we have a compass/magnetometer placed on something of general shape and material.
The magnetometer feels the Earth's magnetic field that we call H_earth: we know, however, that the field measured by the magnetometer is NOT the true

H_earth, but:

H_measured = H_earth + H_induced + H_permanent

where

* H_induced represents the induced magnetic field perturbation attributable to magnetizable soft iron material in the environment where is the magnetometer

(the so called Soft Iron Effects);
* H_permanent represents the permanent magnetic field perturbation attributable to permanent magnetization (the so called Hard Iron Effects).

H_induced is variable in both direction and magnitude and is proportional to H_earth via the [3x3] susceptibility matrix K:

H_induced = K*H_earth.

H_permanent is fixed and constant relative to the magnetometer and its installation: a [3x1] vector.

Said that,

H_measured = H_earth + K*H_earth + H_permanent

NOW, to simulate a real scenario like that described above, with regards to the coefficients of the matrix K, I ask to you:

1) what can we say about K?
2) is it possible to simplify them?
3) could K be simmetric and/or what are the possible values of its coefficients, also in relation with the scalar value of Magnetic Susceptibility we read on literature?

To sum up: HOW can I build K on Matlab?

Thank you for you patience and for your help.

Regards,
Luca.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noone?
I know it's possible to measure the Magnetic Susceptibility, while I am not so sure it's possible to simulate it: at least, can you tell me if it's possible (or not) and why, please?
Thank you.

Related to Compass and Magnetic Susceptibility

1. What is a compass and how does it work?

A compass is a navigational instrument used to determine direction based on Earth's magnetic field. It consists of a magnetized needle that aligns itself with the Earth's magnetic north pole. This allows the user to determine which direction is north, and therefore navigate in any direction.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect a compass?

The Earth's magnetic field is what allows a compass to work. The magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core. The needle of a compass is magnetized and aligns itself with the magnetic field, pointing towards the magnetic north pole.

3. What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is the ratio of the material's magnetization to the strength of the magnetic field. Materials with high magnetic susceptibility can be easily magnetized, while those with low susceptibility are more resistant to magnetization.

4. Why is magnetic susceptibility important in scientific research?

Magnetic susceptibility is important in scientific research because it can provide information about the composition and properties of materials. Different materials have different levels of susceptibility, which can be used to identify and distinguish them. It is also used in geological studies to determine the presence of minerals.

5. How is magnetic susceptibility measured?

Magnetic susceptibility is measured using a device called a magnetic susceptibility meter. This device applies a magnetic field to a sample and measures the resulting magnetization. The ratio of the magnetization to the applied field is then calculated, giving the magnetic susceptibility of the material.