Compiling Java Program for Use Outside of Eclipse GUI - Nkk

• Java
  • Thread starter nkk2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary: Eclipse will stuff all the compiled .class files into some directory, I think [Project]/bin is the default but I always override it to be .../classes. You can copy those files to your target computer (or put them into a jar file, using the command line while in the classes directory: jar cvf my.jar *). To execute your program: java -classpath . MyProgramNameor java -classpath my.jar MyProgramNamewhere MyProgramName is the name of the java file which contains your main() method.Note, that you can get Eclipse to help you pack all the needed files into a jar file by using right-clicking your Eclipse project and
nkk2008
I have a java program in Eclipse, and was wondering how to make it such that i can take a file or two onto another computer and run the program without the Eclipse GUI (i.e. as you would run/install a normal program). I am hopelessly lost from googling, as I understand nothing.

What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
Nkk

Technology news on Phys.org
Eclipse will stuff all the compiled .class files into some directory, I think [Project]/bin is the default but I always override it to be .../classes. You can copy those files to your target computer (or put them into a jar file, using the command line while in the classes directory: jar cvf my.jar *). To execute your program:
java -classpath . MyProgramName
or
java -classpath my.jar MyProgramName
where MyProgramName is the name of the java file which contains your main() method.

Note, that you can get Eclipse to help you pack all the needed files into a jar file by using right-clicking your Eclipse project and select Export / Java / JAR File or Runnable JAR File (use the build-in help on the resulting dialogs if you need more help on how to export).

If you program creates a GUI then the Runnable JAR File is useful as you can then simply run the file directly by running it from the Windows Explorer on any Windows where Java is installed. If you program only outputs to the console you probably want to make a small CMD file that contains the "java -jar jarfile.jar" command for you (so that running the CMD will make Windows open a console window and show your output).

Wow...I always wondered why Eclipse didn't have some easy way to create jar files...duh.

Thank you all. I will probably come back when I run into problems when I try this in a week (when the code is completely debugged), but for now I have some idea what I am doing.

Thanks,
Nkk

Related to Compiling Java Program for Use Outside of Eclipse GUI - Nkk

What is compiling a Java program?

Compiling a Java program means converting the human-readable code written in Java into a machine-readable format that can be executed by the computer. This process is necessary to create a working program that can be used outside of the Eclipse GUI.

How do I compile a Java program for use outside of Eclipse GUI?

To compile a Java program for use outside of Eclipse GUI, you will need to use a Java compiler, such as javac. This can be done through the command line interface or by using an IDE other than Eclipse.

Can I use Eclipse to compile a Java program for use outside of the GUI?

Yes, Eclipse has its own built-in compiler that can be used to compile Java programs for use outside of the GUI. However, it is recommended to use a separate compiler, such as javac, for better control and flexibility.

What are the benefits of compiling a Java program for use outside of Eclipse GUI?

Compiling a Java program for use outside of Eclipse GUI allows the program to be run on any computer, regardless of whether Eclipse is installed or not. It also allows for easier distribution and sharing of the program with others.

Are there any additional steps needed after compiling a Java program for use outside of Eclipse GUI?

Yes, after compiling a Java program, you will need to package it into a JAR (Java Archive) file. This involves bundling together all the necessary files and resources needed for the program to run. Once packaged, the JAR file can be executed on any computer with a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed.