Complete positivity and quantum dynamics

In summary, Joris is trying to figure out if a CP map is trace-preserving and class mates used some bad mathematical notation to get him lost. He is unsure if the identity holds if the observables X are not present.
JorisL
Hi again,

Another, possibly trivial, question.
In quantum dynamics we consider maps containing the evolution of a system.
Suppose we have a completely positive (CP henceforth) map
(1) [itex]\Gamma:\mathcal{M}_k\rightarrow \mathcal{M}_n[/itex]

This map has following properties:
  • Trace-preserving
  • Complex linear
  • Continuous in time (not important here)

This map is CP if it is d-positive for all d. I gather from this it should be possible to trivially extend the system we are interested into the system+an environment 'of dimension d'.
More usable is the fact that the extended map [itex]id_d\otimes \Gamma[/itex] is positive.

This map is defined for the Schrödinger picture, acting on density matrices. There exists a dual map [itex]\Gamma^*[/itex] in the Heisenberg picture, i.e. acting on observables. (this dual is unity/unital preserving)

In various texts I've found that it should be easy to show that
[itex]\Gamma[/itex] is CP iff [itex]\Gamma^*[/itex] is CP

Now some class mates used some really fishy manipulation (perhaps bad mathematical notation/practice) which seems to have gotten me completely lost.

Here's what they did.
in the schrödinger picture the map is trace-preserving thus
[tex]tr \rho X = tr \Gamma(\rho)X = tr \rho\Gamma^*(X) [/tex]
So far it seems ok to agree except for the first equality. In general the dimensions k and n in (1) aren't the same so the matrix product in one of the sides will not be defined.

Then they extend the map to use d-positivity of [itex]\Gamma[/itex]. From this they infer that the dual map is also d-positive. (symbolic, no explanation)

I'm not sure how they justified all this hand-wavy(at best) stuff. Another problem is that they don't appreciate attaining maximal rigour in this kind of things so they might have overlooked these problems.

Looking forward to some suggestions,

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
JorisL said:
In general the dimensions k and n in (1) aren't the same so the matrix product in one of the sides will not be defined.
What are Mk and Mn? Some kind of state space? If the CP map acts on the density matrix of a certain open system, the dimensions of these spaces must be the same.

JorisL said:
in the schrödinger picture the map is trace-preserving thus
[tex]tr \rho X = tr \Gamma(\rho)X[/tex]
This identity not only uses the trace-preserving property of Γ but implies that ρ and Γ(ρ) are the same state. This is certainly wrong in general. If Γ is the time evolution of the open system your equation states that the expectation value of all observables X is constant.

You are right, the spaces Mk are the observable on a k-dimensional system.
The identity should in my opinion hold if we don't have the observable X in there since the trace of a d.m. should be normalised (in our convention, one can use a normalisation constant).

I'll try to figure some more of this out and give an expanded explanation of the context. Although it's only 2 pages long in my notes (a little bit short if you ask me). Some reference texts would be nice.

Two things that may interest you in this context is Gleason's Theorem:
http://kof.physto.se/cond_mat_page/theses/helena-master.pdf

And especially Wigner's theorem:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.0779

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Complete positivity and quantum dynamics

1. What is complete positivity in the context of quantum dynamics?

Complete positivity is a mathematical property that is required for any physical process to be described by quantum mechanics. It ensures that the evolution of a quantum system is consistent with the rules of quantum mechanics and maintains the fundamental principles of quantum theory such as unitarity and conservation of probability.

2. How is complete positivity related to quantum entanglement?

Complete positivity is closely linked to quantum entanglement, which is a phenomenon where two or more quantum systems become strongly correlated and cannot be described independently. Complete positivity ensures that the entanglement between two systems cannot increase over time, which is a key feature of quantum systems.

3. What are the implications of violating complete positivity in quantum systems?

If a quantum process is not completely positive, it can lead to violations of fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and can result in unphysical and inconsistent predictions. This can happen, for example, in open quantum systems where the system interacts with its environment, leading to loss of coherence and potential violations of complete positivity.

4. How is complete positivity tested and verified in experiments?

Complete positivity can be tested and verified through various techniques, such as quantum process tomography, which involves characterizing the evolution of a quantum system using a set of input states and measuring the corresponding output states. Any deviations from complete positivity can be detected through this process.

5. Can complete positivity be violated in certain situations?

While complete positivity is a fundamental requirement for physical processes to be described by quantum mechanics, there may be situations where it can be violated. For example, in certain non-equilibrium systems, complete positivity may not hold due to the complex and chaotic nature of the dynamics. However, these violations are typically small and do not significantly impact the overall validity of quantum mechanics.