Completeness Axiom Homework: Sets A & B of Positive Rationals

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axiom
In summary: A is not the member of A.In summary, The completeness axiom applies to the reals, not the rationals. The set A, defined as all positive rational numbers such that p^2<2, demonstrates that Q does not have the least-upper-bound property. This means that Q is not complete, but a subset of Q may have a least-upper-bound in R. However, that least-upper-bound will not be a member of Q.
annoymage

Homework Statement

let A be a set of all positive rational number such that [itex]p^2<2[/itex]

B be a set of all positive rational number such that [itex]p^2>2[/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Set A is clearly non empty, and is a subset of real number, anyway i can choose 3 is upperbound, therefore upperbound exist, so by completeness axiom, supremum exist.

But the book here said

"Set A is bounded above, in fact every element in B a the upperbound of A. Since B has no smallest element, A has no least upper bound/ supremum in Q."

i'm really sure I'm not wrong. But am i wrong?

p/s; i just realized that this book define least-upper-bound property(more general case from completeness axiom), and also above example are the counterexample that proves Q does not have least-upper-bound property(follows from what the book have shown, not mine).

But aren't this contradicting the completeness axiom?

since Q is a subset of R, and any non-empty subset of Q that bounded from above has supremum(from completeness axiom), therefore Q has the least-upper-bound property.

help, where i gone wrong T_T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The completeness axiom applies to the reals, there is no contradiction. As you say, the set A demonstrates that Q does not have the least-upper-bound property, so Q is not complete. The completeness axiom guarantees that a subset of Q has a least-upper-bound in R. However that least-upper-bound is not in Q.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA in R, not Q

Thank YOUUUUUUU, I'm so stupid

Related to Completeness Axiom Homework: Sets A & B of Positive Rationals

1. What is the Completeness Axiom?

The Completeness Axiom is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that any non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound. In other words, for any set of numbers, there is always a number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

2. Why is the Completeness Axiom important?

The Completeness Axiom is important because it provides a solid foundation for the real number system. It ensures that there are no "holes" or gaps in the number line, and that every possible number can be represented. This allows for more advanced mathematical concepts to be developed and applied.

3. How is the Completeness Axiom used in sets A and B of positive rationals?

In sets A and B of positive rationals, the Completeness Axiom can be used to prove that every non-empty set of positive rationals has a least upper bound. This is because the positive rationals are a subset of the real numbers, and the Completeness Axiom applies to all sets of real numbers.

4. Can the Completeness Axiom be applied to other sets besides positive rationals?

Yes, the Completeness Axiom can be applied to any set of real numbers, not just the positive rationals. It is a fundamental principle that applies to all sets of real numbers, regardless of their size or properties.

5. How does the Completeness Axiom relate to the concept of infinity?

The Completeness Axiom ensures that all possible numbers, including infinite numbers, are included in the real number system. It guarantees that there is always a number that is greater than any finite number, and therefore allows for the concept of infinity to be defined and used in mathematics.