Complex Analysis: Contour Integration Question

In summary: I think it's something to do with the way the antiderivative of a continuous function can still fail to exist (ie exist as a complex number, because it can't be a real number) in a set of measure zero.So the answer to the question is that the Fund Theorem can be applied to the first integral but not the second.In summary, the first integral can use the Fundamental Theorem of Contour Integration, while the second integral cannot. However, they both have the same result of i(7π/6) due to the contour only containing points with unit modulus, making the reciprocal equivalent to the conjugate.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

State, with justification, if the Fundamental Theorem of Contour Integration can be applied to the following integrals. Evaluate both integrals.

\begin{eqnarray*}
(i) \hspace{0.2cm} \int_\gamma \frac{1}{z} dz \\
(ii) \hspace{0.2cm} \int_\gamma \overline{z} dz \\
\end{eqnarray*}

where

\begin{eqnarray*}
\gamma(t) = \exp(i2\pi t), -\frac{1}{4} \leq t \leq \frac{1}{3}
\end{eqnarray*}

Homework Equations

Fundamental Theorem of Contour Integration:

\begin{eqnarray*}
\text{Suppose }f : S \rightarrow C\text{ is continuous, }\\
\gamma : \left[a:b\right] \rightarrow S\text{ is a smooth path.}\\
\text{Suppose }F : S \rightarrow C\text{ such that }F'(z) = f(z) \text{ }\forall z \in S.\\
\text{Then } \int_\gamma f dz = F(\gamma(b)) - F(\gamma(a))
\end{eqnarray*}Complex Line Integral Formula:

\begin{eqnarray*}
\text{Let }U \subset C \text{ be an open path-connected set. }\\
\text{Let }f : U \rightarrow C \text{ be a continuous function.} \\
\text{Let }\gamma : \left[a:b\right] \rightarrow S \text{ be a smooth path in U.}\\
\text{Then the complex line integral of f along }\gamma \text{ is:} \\
\int_\gamma f dz = \int_{a}^{b} f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt, \hspace{0.2cm} \text{where }\gamma'(t) = x'(t) + iy'(t)
\end{eqnarray*}

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,

Here's my attempt so far:\begin{eqnarray*}
\text{(i) }\hspace{0.2cm} \int_\gamma \frac{1}{z} dz
\end{eqnarray*}

Can't use Fundamental Theorem as 1/z has no antiderivative. Even though we can differentiate Log(z) to get 1/z, this is only defined locally, not generally, as Log(z) is itself based on the complex exponential, which is a periodic function.

Therefore, use the complex line integral formula:

\begin{eqnarray*}
\gamma(t) &=& \exp(i2\pi t) \\
\gamma'(t) &=& i2\pi \exp(i2\pi t) \\
f'(\gamma(t)) &=& \frac{1}{\exp(i2\pi t)} \\
&=& \exp(-i2\pi t)\\
\hspace{0.2cm} \int_\gamma \frac{1}{z} dz &=& \int_{-\frac{1}{4}}^{\frac{1}{3}}\exp(-i2\pi t)i2\pi\exp(i2\pi t)dt \\
&=& \int_{-\frac{1}{4}}^{\frac{1}{3}}i2\pi dt \\
&=&\left[i2\pi t\right]_\frac{-1}{4}^\frac{1}{3} \\
&=& i\frac{7\pi}{6}
\end{eqnarray*}\begin{eqnarray*}
\text{(ii) }\hspace{0.2cm} \int_\gamma \overline{z} dz
\end{eqnarray*}

Again, can't use Fundamental Theorem as z conjugate has no antiderivative. Therefore, use the complex line integral formula:

\begin{eqnarray*}
\gamma(t) &=& \exp(i2\pi t) \\
\gamma'(t) &=& i2\pi \exp(i2\pi t) \\
f(\gamma(t)) &=& \overline{\exp(i2\pi t)} \\
&=& \exp(-i2\pi t)\\
\int_\gamma \overline{z} dz &=& \int_{-\frac{1}{4}}^{\frac{1}{3}}\exp(-i2\pi t)i2\pi\exp(i2\pi t)dt \\
&=& i\frac{7\pi}{6} \\
\end{eqnarray*}

as before.

It seems strange that I get the same answer for both parts. I am reasonably happy that my answer for (ii) is correct. I think I may be wrong about the first one, particularly in my reasoning that it has no antiderivative. Also, seeing as the questions are from a chapter on contour integration, it seems strange that neither one can use the fundamental theorem.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help point out where I may be going wrong!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pyroadept said:
It seems strange that I get the same answer for both parts.
I don't think that's a concern, because the contour contains only numbers with unit modulus, and for such numbers the reciprocal is the same as the conjugate, ie ##\tfrac{1}{z}=\bar z##.

Pyroadept said:
I think I may be wrong about the first one, particularly in my reasoning that it has no antiderivative.
I think you can use the Fundamental Theorem at least for the ##1/z## case, because all that's necessary is for the antiderivative to exist on an open set containing the contour ##D\equiv Image\ \gamma##. It doesn't have to exist everywhere on ##\mathbb{C}##. So we can define our open set ##S## as all points no more than 0.001 away from a point in ##D## (an open 'ribbon' containing ##D##) then you can choose as antiderivative of ##1/z## a branch of the complex logarithm function that doesn't have a cut in ##S##, which is easy because ##S## doesn't entirely encircle the origin.

I'm not sure whether the conjugate has an antiderivative on ##S##. I can't think of one. I suspect it doesn't as, given the way the question is worded, it seems likely that the Fund Theorem will be applicable to one but not the other of the two cases. Unfortunately, my Complex Analysis is too rusty to produce a proof that the conjugate has no antiderivative on ##S##.

Related to Complex Analysis: Contour Integration Question

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along a path or contour in the complex plane. It involves breaking down a complex function into simpler components and then integrating along a closed curve in the complex plane.

2. Why is contour integration important?

Contour integration is important because it allows us to evaluate complex integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It is also used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving complex functions and their integrals.

3. What is the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula is a powerful tool in complex analysis that relates the value of a function inside a closed contour to its values on the contour itself. It is given by the formula: f(z) = 1/2πi ∫(γ) f(w)/w-z dw, where f(z) is the function being integrated, γ is the contour, and w is a variable of integration.

4. How do you choose the contour for a given integral?

The choice of contour depends on the complexity of the function being integrated and the location of its singularities. In general, a contour that avoids singularities and encloses the region of interest is chosen. The contour may also be deformed or broken into smaller pieces to simplify the integral.

5. What are some applications of contour integration?

Contour integration has numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the evaluation of complex integrals, calculation of residues and poles, solving differential equations, and analyzing physical systems with complex variables. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and fluid mechanics.