Complex analysis: Find a function that maps z1 and z2 onto w1 and w2

In summary, the given problem asks for the linear function that maps z1=2 and z2=-3i onto w1=1+i and w2=1. The textbook provides the answer as w=f(z)=\frac{3+2i}{13}z + \frac{7+9i}{13}, but this formula does not give the correct result for the given complex numbers. Another approach is to treat complex numbers as vectors in R2 and use linear transformations to find T(a+bi) = T(<a,b>T) = aT(<1,0>T) + bT(<0,1>T). This can be used to find the correct linear function for the given problem.
Juwane

Homework Statement

What is the function (linear transformation) that maps [tex]z_{1} = 2[/tex] and [tex]z_{2} = -3i[/tex] onto [tex]w_{1} = 1+i[/tex] and [tex]w_{2} = 3[/tex]?

I think it's asking for the function that if you put 2 in it, it should give 1+i, and if you put -3i in the same function, it should give 3.

The answer given at the back of the book is [tex]w=f(z)=\frac{3+2i}{13}z + \frac{7+9i}{13}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Maybe these would help:

[tex]x = \frac{z + \overline{z} }{2}[/tex] and [tex]y = \frac{z - \overline{z} }{2i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start. The horrible book I am using doesn't give a clue. One possible way is to see what do we have to [tex]z_{1} = 2[/tex] to get [tex]1+i[/tex]. The answer is: [tex]-1+i[/tex] , but we can't add this to [tex]z_{2} = -3i[/tex], since that would give us [tex]1-2i[/tex] whereas we must get 3. Is there any other way to find out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Juwane said:

Homework Statement

What is the function (linear transformation) that maps [tex]z_{1} = 2[/tex] and [tex]z_{2} = -3i[/tex] onto [tex]w_{1} = 1+i[/tex] and [tex]w_{2} = 3[/tex]?

I think it's asking for the function that if you put 2 in it, it should give 1+i, and if you put -3i in the same function, it should give 3.

The answer given at the back of the book is [tex]w=f(z)=\frac{3+2i}{13}z + \frac{7+9i}{13}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Maybe these would help:

[tex]x = \frac{z + \overline{z} }{2}[/tex] and [tex]y = \frac{z - \overline{z} }{2i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start. The horrible book I am using doesn't give a clue. One possible way is to see what do we have to [tex]z_{1} = 2[/tex] to get [tex]1+i[/tex]. The answer is: [tex]-1+i[/tex] , but we can't add this to [tex]z_{2} = -3i[/tex], since that would give us [tex]1-2i[/tex] whereas we must get 3. Is there any other way to find out?
The textbook's answer gives f(z) as a linear polynomial with complex coefficients, which is one way to represent this function. It gives the right results for the two given complex numbers.

Edit: Scratch part of what I said. The formula gives the right result for 2 + i, but not the right result for -3i.

Another way to approach this problem is to use linear transformations, and treat complex numbers as vectors in R2.

From the given information, T(2) = T(<2, 0>T) = <1, 1>T, and
T(-3i) = T(<0, -3>T) = <3, 0>T.

Using the properties of linear transformations, it's easy to find T(<1, 0>T) and T(<0, 1>T). That means that you can find T(a + bi) = T(<a, b>T) = aT(<1, 0>T) + bT(<0, 1>T), for any complex number a + bi.

Last edited:
I think you mean w2=1. Double check the book. A linear function is f(z)=a*z+b for complex constants a and b. Just put in the given values and solve the two simultaneous equations for a and b.

Last edited:
Dick is right. If w2 is 3, then the formula given as an answer is wrong.

Dick said:
I think you mean w2=1. Double check the book. A linear function is f(z)=a*z+b for complex constants a and b. Just put in the given values and solve the two simultaneous equations for a and b.

Yes, you're right. w2 is 1, not 3. I'll try to use the method you've given here. Thanks.

FAQ: Complex analysis: Find a function that maps z1 and z2 onto w1 and w2

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is important because it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of complex functions, which have real-world applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you find a function that maps two complex numbers onto two other complex numbers?

To find a function that maps z1 and z2 onto w1 and w2, we first need to determine the relationship between the two sets of complex numbers. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown coefficients. Once we have the relationship, we can use it to construct a function that maps z1 and z2 onto w1 and w2.

3. Can complex analysis be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, complex analysis has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of electric circuits, fluid flow, and financial markets.

4. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These techniques help us solve problems involving complex functions and understand their properties.

5. How does complex analysis relate to other branches of mathematics?

Complex analysis is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as real analysis, differential equations, and algebra. It builds upon concepts from these branches and extends them to the complex plane, allowing us to solve problems involving complex functions.

Back