[Complex Analysis] Finding a conformal map

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a conformal map from a given set to the unit disk. It mentions the use of analytical functions and linear fractionals/mobius transformations. The solution is suggested to be similar to mapping a strip to the upper half plane using the function exp(z).
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

I have to find a conformal map from [tex]\Omega = \{ z \in \mathbb C | -1 < \textrm{Re}(z) < 1 \} [/tex]
to the unit disk D(0,1)

Homework Equations

an analytical function f is conformal in each point where the derivative is non-vanishing
specifically, we can think of linear fractionals/mobius transformations, which are conformal everywhere and determined by the image of three numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I've busted my brain on this one, but I can't think of anything that will transform these two vertical boundary lines into something useful. Note that I do not have to transform it to the unit disk; also a half/quarter-plane, a disk with a slit cut out, half a disk, will do, as I already know (from previous exercises) conformal transformations from those sets to the unit disk

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the set {z : 0<Im(z)<pi} then exp(z) maps that strip into the upper half plane, right? That's a lot like your problem.

Oh jeesh I can't believe I didn't see that x_x

Let's hope I get all the stupidity out before the exam

Thank you!

Related to [Complex Analysis] Finding a conformal map

1. What is a conformal map?

A conformal map is a function that preserves angles between curves. In other words, it is a map that maintains the same shape and orientation of curves when they are transformed from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is finding a conformal map important?

Finding a conformal map is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to easily transform complex shapes and analyze them in a simpler form. It also helps in understanding and solving problems related to fluid flow, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

3. How do you find a conformal map?

There is no one specific method for finding a conformal map as it depends on the specific problem at hand. However, some common techniques include using known conformal maps as building blocks, using transformations such as inversion and stereographic projection, and using complex analysis tools such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

4. What are some properties of conformal maps?

Conformal maps have several important properties, including preserving angles between curves, being orientation-preserving, and being one-to-one. They also preserve the shape and size of infinitesimal elements, such as circles and angles, and are analytic functions in the complex plane.

5. Can a conformal map be used to map any shape onto any other shape?

No, a conformal map can only be used to map between shapes that have the same number of holes. For example, a conformal map cannot be used to map a circle onto a square, as the circle has one hole and the square has none. However, both shapes have one hole, so a conformal map can be used to map a donut onto a coffee mug.