[Complex Analysis] Help with Cauchy Integral Problem

In summary, the integral I can be transformed into a complex integral by substituting z = e^iθ. This can then be solved using Cauchy's Integral Formula for the first derivative of an analytic function. To express the denominator in terms of (z-z0)², the expression must be multiplied by z/z, resulting in a factor of z^2. This shows the necessity of the condition 0 < a < 1.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral,

[tex]I = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d \theta}{(1-2acos \theta + a^2)^2}, \ 0 < a < 1 [/tex]

For such, transform the integral above into a complex integral of the form ∫Rₐ(z)dz, where Rₐ(z) is a rational function of z. This will be obtained through the substitution z = e^iθ. Therefore, solve the complex integral through Cauchy's Integral Formula for the first derivative of an analytic function.

Homework Equations

Cauchy's Integral Formula

[tex] f^{(n)} (z_0) = \frac{n!}{2 \pi i} \oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z - z_0)^{(n+1)}}dz [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Writting dθ in terms of dz

[tex]z = e^{i \theta} [/tex]

[tex]dz = ie^{i \theta} d\theta [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{iz}dz = d\theta [/tex]

Writting

[tex] \frac{1}{(1-2acos \theta + a^2)^2} [/tex]

in terms of z, known that

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left( z + \frac{1}{z}\right) = cos \theta [/tex]

Therefore

[tex] \frac{1}{(1-a\left( z + \frac{1}{z}\right) + a^2)^2} [/tex]

Thus

[tex]I = \oint_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{iz(1-a\left( z + \frac{1}{z}\right) + a^2)^2} [/tex]

Where do I go from here? Any clues on how to express the denominator in terms of (z-z0)² ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying by z/z. You will have a factor of ##z^2## in the denominator. Thus,

##z^2 \cdot (1-a(z+z^{-1})+a^2)^2 = [z \cdot (1-a(z+z^{-1})+a^2)]^2##

It should be apparent from there!

Edit: When you finally do this, it should become apparent why ##0 < a < 1## is required.

FAQ: [Complex Analysis] Help with Cauchy Integral Problem

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Theorem?

The Cauchy Integral Theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic within a closed contour, then the integral of that function along the contour is equal to 0. This theorem is important because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals using only information about the function's behavior within the contour.

2. What is a Cauchy Integral Problem?

A Cauchy Integral Problem is a specific type of integral that involves integrating a complex function over a closed contour. These problems often arise in the study of complex analysis and have important applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How do I solve a Cauchy Integral Problem?

To solve a Cauchy Integral Problem, you first need to determine if the function is analytic within the contour. If it is, then you can use the Cauchy Integral Theorem to evaluate the integral. If the function is not analytic, you may need to use other techniques, such as Cauchy's Residue Theorem, to evaluate the integral.

4. What is Cauchy's Residue Theorem?

Cauchy's Residue Theorem is another important result in complex analysis that is used to evaluate complex integrals. It states that the integral of an analytic function over a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points within the contour. This theorem is useful for solving Cauchy Integral Problems involving functions that are not analytic within the contour.

5. How are Cauchy Integral Problems used in real-world applications?

Cauchy Integral Problems have many important applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are often used to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. They also have applications in signal processing, control theory, and computational physics.

Back