Complex Analysis. Laurent Series Expansion in region(22C).

In summary: I mis-spoke. It should be 1/(1-r) = 1+r+r2+r3+... In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a mathematical problem using geometric series with the goal of converging for |z|>2. The participants discuss various approaches, including manipulating fractions and using polynomial division. Ultimately, the most efficient solution is suggested, involving the use of the geometric series formula and a simple transformation.
Kemba Huskie
<Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing>

Hi. I have solved the others but I am really struggling on 22c. I need it to converge for |z|>2. This is the part I am really struggling with. I am trying to get both fractions into a geometric series with 1/(1-(1/(z/2)) so that it converges for 1/(z/2) <1; which becomes, (z>2). I however cannot manipulate either series into this form that I am looking for. I have tried many times. I have also tried combining both fractions into one fraction over z^2-1, but am not getting anywhere. Any pointers, or tips so that I can get it to converge for |z|>2 by manipulating the fractions (just simply cannot get in right form). Thank you.
media%2F49b%2F49b7fdac-72e2-4e80-b4b1-48fc16fb8003%2Fphpdyb4Ql.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kemba Huskie said:
I have also tried combining both fractions into one fraction over z^2-1, but am not getting anywhere
Worries me. You get ##\displaystyle {2\over z^2 - 1}##, right ?
Perhaps a simple transform to ##y = z-1## can shed some light ?

Two approaches:
1) You can do long division of polynomials the same way the you do it with integers.
2) Use 1/(1-r) = 1+r+r2+r3+... and 1/(1+r) = 1-r+r2-r3+...

Likes BvU
Yet another ? From some searching in PF I really like the suggestion ##
\displaystyle {1\over z^2 - 1} = - {1\over z^2 \left ( 1 - {1\over z^2}\right ) } ##

And please forget about my ##
y = z-1
## :nb)

Likes FactChecker
BvU said:
##
\displaystyle {1\over z^2 - 1} = - {1\over z^2 \left ( 1 - {1\over z^2}\right ) } ##
Ha! Of course! That is the easiest way. (but the leading minus sign on the right is not needed)

Oops

FAQ: Complex Analysis. Laurent Series Expansion in region(22C).

What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It is concerned with the properties and behavior of these functions, as well as their geometric interpretations.

What is a Laurent Series Expansion?

A Laurent Series Expansion is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. It is similar to a Taylor Series Expansion, but allows for negative powers of the variable.

What is the region of convergence for a Laurent Series Expansion?

The region of convergence for a Laurent Series Expansion is the set of all complex numbers for which the series converges. This region may include the entire complex plane, a disk, an annulus, or even just a single point.

What is the significance of Laurent Series Expansions in Complex Analysis?

Laurent Series Expansions allow for the representation of complex functions in a more general and flexible way, compared to Taylor Series Expansions. They are used to study the singularities and behavior of complex functions, and are also useful for approximating functions and solving differential equations.

What is the difference between a Laurent Series and a Taylor Series?

The main difference between a Laurent Series and a Taylor Series is that a Laurent Series allows for negative powers of the variable, while a Taylor Series only includes positive powers. Additionally, the region of convergence for a Laurent Series may be more general compared to that of a Taylor Series, which is typically a disk in the complex plane.