Complex Analysis proof question (from Markushevich text))

In summary, the conversation was about a proof in the text "Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable" by Markushevich. The proof states that if G is a domain with boundary \gamma and f(z) is a one-to-one function on G, then f(\gamma) = \Gamma, where \Gamma is the boundary of the domain f(G). The proof for the opposite containment is offered, but the person has a question about a specific part of the proof. They are wondering how we know that z_n has a convergent subsequence, as there are no indications that either G or f(G) is bounded. After some thought, they realize that the proof may work if we are working in the extended complex plane.
imurme8
There is a proof offered in the text "Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable" by Markushevich that I have a question about. Some of the definitions are a bit esoteric since it is an older book. Here "domain" is an open connected set (in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], in this case.)
Theorem: Let [itex]G[/itex] be a domain with boundary [itex]\gamma[/itex], let [itex]f(z)[/itex] be a one-to-one function on [itex]G[/itex], and let [itex]f(z)[/itex] be continuous on [itex]\overline{G}[/itex]. Then [itex]f(\gamma)=\Gamma[/itex], where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the boundary of the domain [itex]f(G)[/itex].

The proof that [itex]f(\gamma)\subseteq \Gamma[/itex] is clear to me. For the opposite containment, they offer the following proof:
Suppose [itex]w \in \Gamma[/itex]. Then there exists a sequence [itex]\{ w_n \}[/itex] such that [itex]w_n \in f(G)[/itex] and [itex]w_n \to w[/itex] as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]. If [itex]z_n[/itex] is the inverse image of [itex]w_n[/itex], then [itex]z_n \in G[/itex], and from the sequence [itex]\{z_n\}[/itex] we can select a subsequence [itex]\{z_{n_k}\}[/itex] (*) converging to a point [itex]z\in \overline{G}[/itex], where

[itex]f(z)= \lim\limits_{n\to \infty} f(z_{n_k}) = \lim\limits_{n\to \infty}w_{n_k}=w.[/itex]​

Thus [itex]w[/itex] is the image of a point [itex]z\in \overline{G}[/itex]. But [itex]z \notin G[/itex], since, according to a theorem, the image of an interior point of [itex]G[/itex] is an interior point of [itex]f(G)[/itex] (since [itex]f[/itex] is one-to-one). Therefore [itex]z[/itex] is a boundary point of [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]w=f(z)[/itex] belongs to [itex]f(\gamma)[/itex]. It follows that [itex]f(\gamma)\supseteq \Gamma[/itex], and the proof is complete.

My question is about the part marked with an asterisk. How do we know that [itex]z_{n}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence? If [itex]\{z_n\}[/itex] were bounded, then I see that we would have this result by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. Also if we were working in the extended complex plane, then compactness of [itex]\tilde{\mathbb{C}}[/itex] would give us this result. But here, I don't see any indication that either [itex]G[/itex] or [itex]f(G)[/itex] is bounded, so I don't see how we have this.

Just reading this again, it strikes me that perhaps we can bound [itex]\{z_n\}[/itex] by the continuity of the inverse function [itex]f^{-1}[/itex]. But I don't see that this continuity is assumed, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
On second thought, I think the proof works as long as we suppose that we're working in the extended complex plane.

FAQ: Complex Analysis proof question (from Markushevich text))

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is a fundamental part of mathematics and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a proof in Complex Analysis?

A proof in Complex Analysis is a rigorous and logical demonstration of the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves using established mathematical principles and techniques to show that the statement is true for all possible cases.

3. How do I approach a Complex Analysis proof?

The first step in approaching a Complex Analysis proof is to carefully read and understand the question. It is important to identify the key concepts and definitions involved. Then, you can use your knowledge of complex numbers and functions to manipulate and simplify the given expression or equation until you can prove the statement.

4. What are some common techniques used in Complex Analysis proofs?

Some common techniques used in Complex Analysis proofs include using properties of complex numbers, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy Integral Theorem, and the Cauchy Integral Formula. Other techniques may include using induction, contradiction, and mathematical induction.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Complex Analysis proofs?

To improve your skills in solving Complex Analysis proofs, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different proof techniques. You can also consult textbooks and online resources for additional practice problems. Seeking guidance from a math tutor or joining a study group can also be helpful in improving your skills.