Complex Analysis: Using polar form to show arg(z1) - arg(z2) = 2n*pi

In summary, using the polar form and the formulas for norm and argument, it can be proven that Re(z_{1}\bar{z}_{2}) = norm (z_{1}) * norm (z_{2}) \Leftrightarrow θ_{1} - θ_{2} = 2n∏, where n is an integer, θ_{1} = arg(z_{1}), θ_{2} = arg(z_{2}), and \bar{z}_{2} is the conjugate of z_{2}. This is shown by expressing z_{1} and z_{2} in polar form and using the properties of cosine to simplify the equation.
I Love Math

Homework Statement

Given that z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex] ≠ 0, use the polar form to prove that
Re(z[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\bar{z}[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex]) = norm (z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) * norm (z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] - θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 2n∏, where n is an integer, θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = arg(z[itex]_{1}[/itex]), and θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = arg(z[itex]_{2}[/itex]). Also, [itex]\bar{z}[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex] is the conjugate of z[itex]_{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

norm (z) = [itex]\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}[/itex], where z = a +i*b.

norm (z) = r, where r is the radius.

z = r[cos θ + i*sin θ]

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to prove the forward direction, I know the above formulas, and that arg(z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] + θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] +2n∏.
I'm having trouble getting the first step. I know that norm (z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) * norm (z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = r[itex]_{1}[/itex]r[itex]_{2}[/itex], but I don't know if this is how you begin.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I Love Math said:

Homework Statement

Given that z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex] ≠ 0, use the polar form to prove that
Re(z[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\bar{z}[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex]) = norm (z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) * norm (z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] - θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 2n∏, where n is an integer, θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = arg(z[itex]_{1}[/itex]), and θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = arg(z[itex]_{2}[/itex]). Also, [itex]\bar{z}[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex] is the conjugate of z[itex]_{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

norm (z) = [itex]\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}[/itex], where z = a +i*b.

norm (z) = r, where r is the radius.

z = r[cos θ + i*sin θ]

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to prove the forward direction, I know the above formulas, and that arg(z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] + θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] +2n∏.
I'm having trouble getting the first step. I know that norm (z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) * norm (z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = r[itex]_{1}[/itex]r[itex]_{2}[/itex], but I don't know if this is how you begin.

Thanks for any help!

remember

[tex]{z_1} = {r_1}{e^{{\theta _1}\pi i}},{z_2} = {r_2}{e^{{\theta _2}\pi i}},{{\bar z}_2} = {r_2}{e^{ - {\theta _2}\pi i}}[/tex]

then the first condition is

[tex]{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} \left( {{r_1}{r_2}{e^{i\pi ({\theta _1} - {\theta _2})}}} \right) = {r_1}{r_2}[/tex]

i.e.

[tex]\cos ({\theta _1} - {\theta _2}) = 1[/tex]

or [tex]{\theta _1} - {\theta _2} = 2n\pi [/tex]

You can make this more general if you like.

I'll let you take it from there.

Related to Complex Analysis: Using polar form to show arg(z1) - arg(z2) = 2n*pi

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the use of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component, and their properties to analyze and solve problems.

2. How is polar form used in complex analysis?

Polar form is a way of representing complex numbers in terms of their magnitude and argument (or angle). In complex analysis, polar form is often used to simplify calculations and proofs, as well as to visualize complex operations such as multiplication and division.

3. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle that the number makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. It is usually denoted by arg(z) and is measured in radians.

4. How does using polar form show arg(z1) - arg(z2) = 2n*pi?

In polar form, complex numbers can be written as z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the argument. When subtracting two complex numbers, the magnitudes can be simply subtracted, but the arguments must be added. Since the argument of a complex number can have multiple values (differing by 2π), the difference of two arguments can be expressed as 2nπ, where n is an integer.

5. Can this formula be applied to any two complex numbers?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any two complex numbers, as long as they are expressed in polar form. However, it is important to note that the result may vary depending on the values of the arguments and the chosen values of n. It is also important to consider the branch cut of the complex logarithm function when using this formula.