Complex Conjugate of the comb function

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the intensity of light after spatial filtering and the question of whether the complex conjugate of the comb function is the same as itself. The attempt at a solution involves rearranging terms using the commutative property of convolution and considering the product in both position and momentum space.
sahand_n9

Homework Statement

This is not exactly a HW problem but related to my thesis work where I am deriving an expression for the intensity of light after a particular spatial filtering. I have:

[itex]I(x) = \left[ comb(2x) \ast e^{i\Phi(x)} \right] \left[ comb^*(2x) \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} \right] [/itex]
Where [itex]comb(x) = \sum_{N=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-N)[/itex], the symbol [itex]\ast[/itex] is the convolution operator, and [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] is some arbitrary function of x.

Homework Equations

Is the complex conjugate of the comb function the same as itself? I have not been able to find anything on the complex conjugate of the Dirac delta function or the comb function. I cannot see why it would be different but I am not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at re-arranging the terms using commutative property of the convolution with the assumption that the complex conjugate of the comb function is itself yields:
[itex]I(x) = comb^2(2x) \ast e^{i\Phi(x)} \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} [/itex]

Now, isn't [itex]e^{i\Phi(x)} \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} [/itex] just the auttcorrelation of [itex]e^{i\Phi(x)} [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
sahand_n9 said:

Homework Statement

This is not exactly a HW problem but related to my thesis work where I am deriving an expression for the intensity of light after a particular spatial filtering. I have:

[itex]I(x) = \left[ comb(2x) \ast e^{i\Phi(x)} \right] \left[ comb^*(2x) \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} \right] [/itex]
Where [itex]comb(x) = \sum_{N=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-N)[/itex], the symbol [itex]\ast[/itex] is the convolution operator, and [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] is some arbitrary function of x.

Homework Equations

Is the complex conjugate of the comb function the same as itself? I have not been able to find anything on the complex conjugate of the Dirac delta function or the comb function. I cannot see why it would be different but I am not sure.
Write out the general defining equation of the delta distribution. How does it act on an arbitrary complex-valued function ##f(z)## ?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at re-arranging the terms using commutative property of the convolution with the assumption that the complex conjugate of the comb function is itself yields:
[itex]I(x) = comb^2(2x) \ast e^{i\Phi(x)} \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} [/itex]
Careful! Your comb##^2## function would involve squares of the delta distribution, which is mathematically ill-defined.

Consider
$$\Big(f(x) \ast g(x)\Big)\Big(a(x) \ast b(x)\Big).$$Write out both products separately as integrals. Then try to take the product. Also think carefully about what a product is in momentum space, and vice versa...

Related to Complex Conjugate of the comb function

What is the complex conjugate of the comb function?

The complex conjugate of the comb function is the function obtained by taking the complex conjugate of each term in the comb function.

What is the mathematical expression for the complex conjugate of the comb function?

The mathematical expression for the complex conjugate of the comb function is given by f*(x) = sum from n = -infinity to infinity of f(n)*e^(-i2πnx).

What is the significance of the complex conjugate of the comb function in signal processing?

The complex conjugate of the comb function is important in signal processing because it allows us to analyze signals in the frequency domain. By taking the complex conjugate, we can obtain the Fourier transform of a signal, which provides information about the frequency components present in the signal.

How does the complex conjugate of the comb function affect the spectrum of a signal?

The complex conjugate of the comb function changes the spectrum of a signal by inverting the phase of each frequency component. This means that the peaks and valleys in the spectrum will be flipped, but the magnitudes of the frequency components will remain the same.

Can the complex conjugate of the comb function be used to reconstruct a signal from its frequency components?

Yes, the complex conjugate of the comb function can be used to reconstruct a signal from its frequency components. By taking the inverse Fourier transform of the complex conjugate of the comb function, we can obtain the original signal. This is useful in applications such as signal filtering and compression.