Complex contour integral zero while containing a pole?

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex contour integral with a pole and a parametrization of z, where the limit of the integral is shown to be zero as R approaches infinity. The confusion arises from the presence of a residue in the upper half-plane, but is resolved by realizing that the parametrization is not a closed curve.
Nikitin
[SOLVED] Complex contour integral zero while containing a pole?

Homework Statement

##f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2 +2z +5} = \frac{1}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}##, where ##z_1= -1+2i## and ##z_2 = -1-2i##.

Now, let z be parametrized as ##z(\theta)=Re^{i \theta}##, where ##\theta## can have values in the interval of ##[0,\pi]##. Furthermore, let ##R \rightarrow \infty## and ##a>0##. Show [tex] \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{S_R} f(z) e^{iaz} dz = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem with this, is that the upper half-plane contains a residue for ## f(z) e^{iaz}##, namely at ##z_1##, and thus the contour-integral can impossibly be zero...

But on the other hand, I can see from the ML-inequality theorem that the sum of the integral should go towards zero when R goes towards infinity.. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edit nevermind, I just noticed that the parametrization is not a closed curve but rather a semi-circle. forget this thread.

Related to Complex contour integral zero while containing a pole?

1. What is a complex contour integral?

A complex contour integral is a mathematical concept in which a function is integrated along a complex path in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific region in the complex plane.

2. What does it mean for a complex contour integral to be zero?

A complex contour integral is said to be zero if the function being integrated is equal to zero along the entire contour or if the function has equal positive and negative values at each point along the contour. This means that the net contribution of the function over the contour is zero.

3. What is a pole in a complex contour integral?

A pole in a complex contour integral is a point in the complex plane where the function being integrated has a singularity, meaning it is undefined or infinite at that point. Poles can affect the value of the integral and must be taken into consideration when calculating it.

4. Can a complex contour integral be zero while containing a pole?

Yes, it is possible for a complex contour integral to be zero while containing a pole. This can occur if the function being integrated has equal positive and negative values at the pole, canceling out its contribution to the integral.

5. How is a complex contour integral with a pole calculated?

To calculate a complex contour integral with a pole, the pole must be taken into consideration by using the Cauchy Residue Theorem. This involves finding the residue of the function at the pole and multiplying it by 2πi. The residue is the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around the pole.