Complex Countour Integral. not sure how to solve.

In summary, the problem is that the function is analytic only at z=0, and integrating the hard way is required to solve it.
U.Renko

Homework Statement

So, as far as I understand, there is not much difference between integrals in complex variables and those pesky line integrals from vector calculus. I'm not particullary good with line integrals, so it follows that I'm not quite understanding the complex variables ones.
Anyway, here is the problem
[itex]\oint (z^*)^2 dz [/itex] around the circunferences [itex] |z| = 1 [/itex] and [itex]|z-1|= 1[/itex] ([itex] z^*[/itex] is the complex conjugate.)

Homework Equations

[itex] z=x+iy [/itex]
[itex] f(z) = u(x,y) +iv(x,y) [/itex]
[itex] \int_c f(z)dz = \int_c (u dx -v dy) + i\int_c (v dx + u dy) [/itex] (1)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I use the Cauchy-Rienmann equations to see if the function is analytic inside the circuferences, so I could use Cauchy's theorem. Turned out, the function is analytic only at [itex]z=0[/itex]
[itex] f(z) = (x-iy)^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + i(-2xy) = u + iv [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \iff 2x = -2x \iff x = 0 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \iff -2y = 2y \iff y = 0 [/itex]
so the function is analytic only on [itex] z=0 [/itex] and I have to integrate the hard way.

So I use (1) and now I have: [itex] \oint f(z)dz = \int_c (x^2 - y^2) dx +\int_c (2xy)dy + i\int_c (-2xy)dx +i\int_c (x^2 - y^2)dy [/itex]

so here is my problem: how do I integrate this?

what I tried is the following (and it might or migh not be correct);

using polar coordinates:
[itex] x =r\cos\theta[/itex]
[itex] y= r\sin\theta [/itex]
[itex]dx =-r\sin\theta d\theta [/itex]
[itex]dy =r\cos\theta d\theta [/itex]the first integral [itex] \oint_c (x^2 - y^2)dx [/itex] becomes [itex] \int_0^{2\pi}( \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2\theta)(-sin\theta)d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} (-\cos^2\theta sin\theta +sin^3\theta) d\theta [/itex] (remember that r = 1)

the idea is to do the same for the other integrals, integrate and then add.
I won't do it now because, like I said, I'm not sure this is the correct approach.

Can you you tell me if this would work or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if your problem is the path integral of (z*)^2, and z = x + iy, then (z*)^2 is not x^2 -y^2,
z*z = x^y -y^2, is that what you're looking for? I don't have extensive experience with complex integrals, but they really aren't too terribly different from real integrals.
z* = x-iy, and (z*)^2 = x^2 -2ixy -y^2

U.Renko said:
First of all I use the Cauchy-Rienmann equations to see if the function is analytic inside the circuferences, so I could use Cauchy's theorem. Turned out, the function is analytic only at [itex]z=0[/itex]
Analyticity is a term reserved for the differentiability of a function in some open disk. The function is differentiabie only at z=0, and is therefore nowhere analytic.
Can you you tell me if this would work or not?
Yes, it works. It is the same method that is familiar from computing line integrals in multivariable calculus. Alternatively, you should be able to use the Residue theorem, a generalisation of Cauchy's theorem.

Likes 1 person
CAF123 said:
Analyticity is a term reserved for the differentiability of a function in some open disk. The function is differentiabie only at z=0, and is therefore nowhere analytic.
You're right. I was a bit in doubt about this to tell you the truth.
But either way, the point is, I can't use Cauchy's theorem.

CAF123 said:
Alternatively, you should be able to use the Residue theorem, a generalisation of Cauchy's theorem.
Ah, yes, I've heard about. Although I haven't studied it yet so...
Guess I'll be revisiting this problem later

FAQ: Complex Countour Integral. not sure how to solve.

1. What is a Complex Contour Integral?

A Complex Contour Integral is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to integrate complex-valued functions over a curve or path in the complex plane. Unlike traditional integrals, which are evaluated over a real line, a complex contour integral is evaluated over a complex curve.

2. How do you solve a Complex Contour Integral?

To solve a Complex Contour Integral, you can use the Cauchy Integral Formula, which relates the value of the integral to the function's values on the curve. You can also use the Residue Theorem, which uses the concept of residues to evaluate the integral.

3. What are the applications of Complex Contour Integrals?

Complex Contour Integrals have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in complex analysis, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also useful in solving problems involving complex-valued functions, such as the evaluation of Fourier transforms.

4. What are the key properties of Complex Contour Integrals?

The key properties of Complex Contour Integrals include linearity, additivity, and the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, which states that the integral of an analytic function over a closed contour is equal to zero. They also have similar properties to traditional integrals, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. Are there any tips for solving Complex Contour Integrals?

Yes, there are several tips for solving Complex Contour Integrals. It is essential to understand the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Residue Theorem and their applications. It is also helpful to sketch the contour and determine if there are any singularities or branch points within the curve. Finally, choosing the appropriate contour and parameterization can make solving the integral easier.

Back