Complex Derivative: Directional Derivatives & Complex Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the existence of a complex derivative for a continuous complex valued function. The first condition for the existence of the derivative is that the directional derivatives preserve angles, which has been proven to result in the difference quotient being linear multiples of each other. The second condition is that the directional derivatives have the same norm values, but it is unclear how to link this with the angle preservation. The conversation also brings up the Cauchy-Riemann conditions and the relation between angles and lengths.
Skrew
I'm not sure if it's OK to post this question here or not, the Calculus and Beyond section doesn't really look very heavily proof oriented.

I'm trying to prove that if continuous complex valued function f(z) is such that the directional derivatives(using numbers with unit length) preserve angles then the complex derivative exists.

Similarly I need to prove that if the directional derivatives have all the same norm values, then f(z) has a complex derivative.

So far I have proved that if the directional derivative preserves angles then difference quotient from every direction are all linear multiples of each other.

I need now to prove that the norms are the same, I don't know how to link up the norm length with the angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Angles and lengths are related by
$$
\cos \sphericalangle (\vec{a},\vec{b})=\dfrac{\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}}{|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|}
$$

However, I'm not sure whether the result holds at all, especially how to define angles if there isn't already a directional derivative, and where the mixed terms of the Cauchy-Riemann conditions come into play.

Related to Complex Derivative: Directional Derivatives & Complex Variables

1. What is a complex derivative?

A complex derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a complex function with respect to a complex variable. It is similar to a regular derivative, which describes the rate of change of a real-valued function with respect to a real variable.

2. What are directional derivatives in complex analysis?

Directional derivatives in complex analysis are a generalization of the concept of a derivative to complex-valued functions. They describe the rate of change of a complex function in a particular direction, rather than just the overall rate of change.

3. How do I calculate a complex directional derivative?

To calculate a complex directional derivative, you first need to determine the direction in which you want to calculate the derivative. Then, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to convert the directional derivative into a partial derivative. Finally, you can use standard techniques to calculate the partial derivative.

4. What is the relationship between complex derivatives and complex variables?

Complex derivatives and complex variables are closely related concepts. A complex variable is a variable that takes on complex values, while a complex derivative describes the rate of change of a complex function with respect to a complex variable. In other words, complex derivatives are a way of understanding how complex functions behave when their input is a complex variable.

5. Why are complex derivatives important in physics and engineering?

Complex derivatives have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to describe the behavior of complex systems, such as electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics. They also play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. In engineering, complex derivatives are used in fields such as signal processing and control systems.