Complex Fourier series of sin (t)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding Cn and arriving at a different answer than expected due to an extra factor of (1/i) when integrating each exponential with respect to t. The conversation also mentions the possibility of intentionally leaving out this factor and suggests providing more details for a better understanding.
unscientific
In finding Cn, I arrived at a different answer. I got an extra factor of (1/i) instead, which came when you do the integral of each exponential with respect to t; so you get a factor of 1/i(1-n) and 1/i(1+n) respectively..

Did they intentionally leave that out?

x1mz9j.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.math24.net/complex-form-of-fourier-series.html

The above may help.

This should be in one of the math forums.

Last edited:
Addition thought. f(t) = sint is its own Fourier series. exp(it) = cost + isint. Therefore c1 needs a coefficient 1/i. I can't see what your disagreement is about. Perhaps you can give the details of your derivation.

mathman said:
Addition thought. f(t) = sint is its own Fourier series. exp(it) = cost + isint. Therefore c1 needs a coefficient 1/i. I can't see what your disagreement is about. Perhaps you can give the details of your derivation.

Sorry, I spotted my mistake!

It is possible that the extra factor of (1/i) was intentionally left out in order to simplify the expression or to make it easier to work with. However, it could also be a mistake or oversight. In any case, it is important to carefully check all steps and factors when solving complex Fourier series to ensure accuracy. It is also important to consider the overall context of the problem and whether the extra factor makes sense in that context. If you are unsure, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or reference material to confirm your solution.

Related to Complex Fourier series of sin (t)

1. What is a complex Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of complex exponentials. It is used to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How is a complex Fourier series different from a regular Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series uses complex numbers and complex exponentials, while a regular Fourier series uses only real numbers and sines and cosines. This allows for a more general representation of periodic functions, including those with imaginary components.

3. What is the formula for the complex Fourier series of sin(t)?

The complex Fourier series of sin(t) is given by:
n=1 (i*(-1)n/n)*(ein*t - e-in*t)

4. How is the complex Fourier series used in practical applications?

The complex Fourier series has a wide range of applications in fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of waves.

5. Are there any limitations to using a complex Fourier series?

One limitation of using a complex Fourier series is that it can only be used for functions that are periodic. It is also important to ensure that the function being represented is continuous and has finite energy, otherwise the series may not converge. Additionally, the convergence of the series can be slow for certain functions, making it less practical for some applications.