Complex Impedance of a voltage source and 2 resistors

In summary: Use impedance instead. Yes, it is right.Do not use the word resistance for a complex impedance. The impedance of the source must be complex conjugate of the loading impedance. Use impedance instead.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

A real voltage source can be expressed as an ideal voltage source that is in series with a resistor that represents the inner resistance of the voltage source. This voltage source is a EMF and it is also in series with another resistor. Suppose both the EMF resistor ##R_\varepsilon## and the second resistor ##R_2## have complex impedance. Determine a) The current, b) the non-dc power that is dissipated in the second resistor and c) The requirements to achieve maximum dissipated power in the second resistor.https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/80/80085-d91a852075e6af6d2347539788417783.jpg

Homework Equations

##\tilde{v}=\tilde{i}z##
##z_ts=z_1+z_2+\cdots##
##z=|z|e^{j\phi}##

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) the total impedance will be given by ##z_t=z_1+z_2=(R_\varepsilon +ja)+(R_2+jb)=(R_\varepsilon+R_2)+j(a+b)## so ##|z|=\sqrt{(R_\varepsilon+R_2)^2+(a+b)^2}## and ##\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{a+b}{R_\varepsilon+R_2})## then from ##\tilde{i}=\frac{\tilde{v}}{z}##

$$\tilde{i}=\frac{ve^{-j\phi}}{\sqrt{(R_\varepsilon+R_2)^2+(a+b)^2}} \\
i=\frac{v\cos(\phi)}{\sqrt{(R_\varepsilon+R_2)^2+(a+b)^2}}
$$

now for b) would the non-dc power dissipated in the second resistor be ##P=i\Im{(R_2)}=ibj##?

Attachments

• picture.png
    picture.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 476
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

A real voltage source can be expressed as an ideal voltage source that is in series with a resistor that represents the inner resistance of the voltage source. This voltage source is a EMF and it is also in series with another resistor. Suppose both the EMF resistor ##R_\varepsilon## and the second resistor ##R_2## have complex impedance. Determine a) The current, b) the non-dc power that is dissipated in the second resistor and c) The requirements to achieve maximum dissipated power in the second resistor.https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/80/80085-d91a852075e6af6d2347539788417783.jpg

Homework Equations

##\tilde{v}=\tilde{i}z##
##z_ts=z_1+z_2+\cdots##
##z=|z|e^{j\phi}##

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) the total impedance will be given by ##z_t=z_1+z_2=(R_\varepsilon +ja)+(R_2+jb)=(R_\varepsilon+R_2)+j(a+b)## so ##|z|=\sqrt{(R_\varepsilon+R_2)^2+(a+b)^2}## and ##\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{a+b}{R_\varepsilon+R_2})## then from ##\tilde{i}=\frac{\tilde{v}}{z}##

$$\tilde{i}=\frac{ve^{-j\phi}}{\sqrt{(R_\varepsilon+R_2)^2+(a+b)^2}} \\
i=\frac{v\cos(\phi)}{\sqrt{(R_\varepsilon+R_2)^2+(a+b)^2}}
$$

now for b) would the non-dc power dissipated in the second resistor be ##P=i\Im{(R_2)}=ibj##?
Only the real part of the impedance dissipates power. Check your last formula. Even the dimension is incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Only the real part of the impedance dissipates power. Check your last formula. Even the dimension is incorrect.
Whoops I also wrote ##P=IR## instead of ##P_L=i^2R_L##, so it should be ##P=i^2R_L## then?

Potatochip911 said:
Whoops I also wrote ##P=IR## instead of ##P_L=i^2R_L##, so it should be ##P=i^2R_L## then?
Yes, if you mean that RL is the real part of z2. And you do not need the cosine term in the expression of the current as the voltage through RL is in phase with the current. You need to use the rms value of the voltage.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Yes, if you mean that RL is the real part of z2. And you do not need the cosine term in the expression of the current as the voltage through RL is in phase with the current.
Yep & then I believe the power dissipated will be at a maximum when the two resistances are complex conjugates of the other since then the part of the denominator related to the imaginary numbers will go to 0.

Potatochip911 said:
Yep & then I believe the power dissipated will be at a maximum when the two resistances are complex conjugates of the other since then the part of the denominator related to the imaginary numbers will go to 0.
Yes, it is right.
Do not use the word resistance for a complex impedance. The impedance of the source must be complex conjugate of the loading impedance.

Likes Potatochip911

Related to Complex Impedance of a voltage source and 2 resistors

What is complex impedance?

Complex impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in an electrical circuit. It takes into account both the resistance and reactance of the circuit.

How is complex impedance calculated?

The complex impedance of a voltage source and two resistors can be calculated by adding the individual impedances together using the formula Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance and jX is the reactance.

What is the significance of complex impedance in AC circuits?

Complex impedance is important in AC circuits because it determines the flow of current and the distribution of voltage in the circuit. It also helps to analyze the behavior of the circuit and predict its response to different frequencies.

What is the difference between resistance and reactance?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of current in a circuit due to the physical properties of the materials used. Reactance, on the other hand, is the opposition to the flow of current caused by the capacitance or inductance of the circuit. It is affected by the frequency of the AC signal.

Can complex impedance be negative?

Yes, complex impedance can have both real and imaginary components, which means it can be positive or negative. A negative impedance indicates that the circuit is producing power rather than consuming it.