Complex Integer z=6e2,5i: Explaining Real & Imaginary Parts

In summary, the complex number z, with a real part of -4.81 and an imaginary part of 3.59, can be expressed in the form z = r(cos(θ) + i*sin(θ)). Using the formula z = re^(iθ), we can calculate the values for r and θ. However, it is important to note that the given values are only approximations and cannot be written as exact values. In the case where there is no number between e and i, such as z=e-5i, the value of r would be 1.
emutudeng
z=6*e2,5i

Can anyone explain me ? The imaginary part = 3,59 and real part = -4,81

I tried e(x) = cos x + i sin x, but it does not help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The complex number [itex] z [/itex] can be expressed in the form [itex] z = r(\cos(θ) + i\sin(\theta)), [/itex] where [itex] z = re^{i\theta}. [/itex] As long as theta is in radians, you should be able to read off the real and imaginary parts.

If you mean eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), then that certainly gives you the correct answer; here you need to use x = 2.5 (N. American style), or x = 2,5 (Euro style).

Note, however, that the given answers are incorrect as exact statements; they are only approximations to the true values, which are approximately
real part ≈ -4.806861693281602289001016742804109986572
and
im part ≈ 3.590832864623738964311128213116973630222
to 40-digit accuracy. No matter how many digits we use we will never be able to write down the exact value.

RGV

How do I calcuate the values if x=2,5 ?

emutudeng said:
How do I calcuate the values if x=2,5 ?

What is stopping you from calculating cos(2,5) and sin(2,5)? (Remember, though, that the '2,5' is in radians, not degrees.)

RGV

okey tnx, i undrestood, but i have one other question that if there is no number in the middle for example z=e-5i then r = 1 ?

emutudeng said:
okey tnx, i undrestood, but i have one other question that if there is no number in the middle for example z=e-5i then r = 1 ?
Yes.

Related to Complex Integer z=6e2,5i: Explaining Real & Imaginary Parts

1. What is a complex integer?

A complex integer is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What does the real part of the complex integer represent?

The real part of a complex integer represents the horizontal axis on the complex plane. It is the value that is added to the imaginary part to form the complex number.

3. What does the imaginary part of the complex integer represent?

The imaginary part of a complex integer represents the vertical axis on the complex plane. It is the value that is multiplied by the imaginary unit to form the complex number.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a complex integer?

The magnitude of a complex integer can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. It is the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. In the case of z=6e2,5i, the magnitude would be √(6^2 + 5^2) = √(36 + 25) = √61 ≈ 7.81.

5. Can a complex integer have a zero real or imaginary part?

Yes, a complex integer can have a zero real or imaginary part. For example, the complex integer 2 + 0i would have a zero imaginary part, and the complex integer 0 + 5i would have a zero real part. However, the imaginary unit i cannot have a zero real or imaginary part because it is a fundamental part of defining a complex number.