Complex Integral Evaluation for f(z)=z^4 on |z|=2 using Theorems 1 and 2

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral of f(z) = z^4 along a semicircle in the right half-plane, using Theorem 1 and Theorem 2. Theorem 1 states that the integral from z0 to z1 of f(z) is equal to the antiderivative of f(z) evaluated at z1 minus the antiderivative of f(z) evaluated at z0. Applying this theorem, the integral from -2i to 2i of z^4 is equal to (2^5 * i)/5. Theorem 2 states that the integral of f(z) along a path C can be represented as the integral from a to b of f(z(t))
John O' Meara
Evaluate [tex] \int_C f(z)dz [/tex] by theorem 1 and check your result by theorem 2 where f(z) = z^4 and C is the semicircle |z|=2 from -2i to 2i in the right half-plane.
Theorem 1 : [tex] \int_{z_0} ^{z_1} f(z)dz = F(z_1) - F(z_0) \ \ \frac{dF}{dz}=f(z) \\ [/tex]
[tex] \int_{-2\iota} ^{2\iota}z^4dz = \frac{z^5}{5} = \frac{2^6 \iota}{5} \\[/tex]
Theorem 2: [tex] \int_C f(z)dz = \int_a ^bf(z(t)) \frac{dz}{dt}dt\\ [/tex]. The path C can be represented by [tex] z(t)=2\exp{\iota t} \ f(z)=(2\exp{\iota t})^4 \ = \ 2^4\exp{4\iota t}\ \mbox{ therefore }\ \frac{dz}{dt}= 2 \iota\exp{\iota t} \\ [/tex] [tex] \ \mbox{ therefore, the integral}\ = 2^5\iota\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}} ^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \exp{5\iota t}dt \ = \ 2^5\iota\frac{\exp{6it}}{6\iota} \ = \ \frac{2^5}{3}(\frac{\exp{3\pi \iota} - \exp{-3\pi \iota} }{2}) =0 \\ [/tex]. Both theorems should give the same answer, but I don't get the same answer. Where have I gone wrong. Help please. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the last line, how did exp(5it) become exp(6it) after the integration?

What is it then?

What's the integral of exp(k*x)dx? I don't think it has a k+1 in it.

Thanks.

FAQ: Complex Integral Evaluation for f(z)=z^4 on |z|=2 using Theorems 1 and 2

1. What is a simple complex integral?

A simple complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a complex function on a given interval. It is similar to a regular integral, but the function and interval are both complex numbers.

2. How is a simple complex integral different from a regular integral?

A simple complex integral involves integrating over a complex domain, while a regular integral involves integrating over a real domain. Additionally, the methods for solving each type of integral may differ.

3. What are some common applications of simple complex integrals?

Simple complex integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving complex functions, such as electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. How do I solve a simple complex integral?

Solving a simple complex integral involves using techniques such as substitution, partial fractions, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. It is important to have a solid understanding of complex numbers and their properties in order to solve these types of integrals.

5. Are there any real-life examples of simple complex integrals?

Yes, simple complex integrals are used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the electric potential in an AC circuit, determining the velocity field of a fluid, and finding the probability distribution of a particle in quantum mechanics.