Complex Integral Homework: Calculate (z+(1/z))^n dz

In summary, the question is about calculating the integral of (z+(1/z))^n dz over the unit circle in complex numbers. The attempted solution involves substitution and expanding the exponential term, leading to two integrals with cosine and sine functions. The next step is to integrate these for two cases, when n is odd and even.
physics_fun

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I hope there's someone who can help me with the following:

I have to calculate the integral over C (the unit cicle) of (z+(1/z))^n dz, where z is a complex number.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the subtitution z=e^(i*theta), so you get
(z+(1/z))^n dz=(2*i*Sin(theta))^n * i*e^(i*theta) dtheta
but then I get stuck.
Is this the right way, and if, how do I proceed. And if it isn't, how should I do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i suppose you integral looks like:
[tex]\int_{|z|=1} (z+1/z)^n dz = i \int_0^{2\pi} (e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})^n e^{i\theta} d\theta[/tex]

now did what you did then also try to expand the remaining [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta +i \sin \theta[/tex], and now you end up with two integrals with just cos and sin... you can then do the integral for two cases n odd and n even... etc...

Ok, but then you get:

(2*cos(theta))^n *e^(i*theta)

but I don't know how to get rid of the n...

(Don't know to use latex...)

i said to use [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta +i \sin \theta[/tex] to expand the second exponential.. and then multiply out to get something like
[tex]\cos^{n+1} \theta + \cos^n \theta \sin \theta[/tex] and now you can try integrate these assuming that n is an integer. I am guessing that there will be two cases: n odd an n even

Related to Complex Integral Homework: Calculate (z+(1/z))^n dz

1. What is the purpose of calculating a complex integral?

Calculating a complex integral allows us to find the area under a curve in the complex plane. This is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing and fluid dynamics.

2. What does the expression (z+(1/z))^n represent?

This expression represents a complex function that involves both addition and division of the variable z. The exponent n determines the degree of the function.

3. How do I solve a complex integral like (z+(1/z))^n dz?

To solve this type of complex integral, we can use the Cauchy Integral Formula, which states that the integral of a complex function is equal to the function's value at any point inside the curve multiplied by 2πi.

4. Can I use any value of n in (z+(1/z))^n dz?

Yes, you can use any value of n as long as it is a positive integer. This is because the Cauchy Integral Formula only applies to functions with integer powers.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the calculation of (z+(1/z))^n dz?

One tip is to convert the expression into polar form, which can make the calculation easier. Also, using properties of logarithms and exponents can help simplify the expression further.