Complex integral is zero but fn. is not analytic

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of closed integrals and whether they can be zero for non-analytic functions. It is mentioned that non-analytic functions can have a closed integral of zero, and this does not necessarily prove the function to be analytic. However, it is also noted that if the integrand is continuous and the integral is zero, with some additional conditions, the integrand is holomorphic.
ppy
Hi
I have been using a textbook which shows that ∫cos z/z^2 around the circle |z|=1 is zero by doing a Laurent expansion and finding the residue is zero.
I was under the impression that only analytic functions have a integral of zero around a closed surface. ( the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem ). The above function is not analytic at z=0 so can non-analytic functions have a closed integral of zero ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ppy said:
Hi
I have been using a textbook which shows that ∫cos z/z^2 around the circle |z|=1 is zero by doing a Laurent expansion and finding the residue is zero.
I was under the impression that only analytic functions have a integral of zero around a closed surface. ( the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem ). The above function is not analytic at z=0 so can non-analytic functions have a closed integral of zero ?

Thanks
Of course. Observe: $$\int\limits_{[0,2\pi)}\frac{\cos(e^{i\theta})}{e^{2i\theta}}ie^{i\theta}d\theta = i\int\limits_{[0,2\pi)}\frac{\cos(e^{i\theta})}{e^{i\theta}}d\theta=0.$$

Thanks for that. So if the closed integral is zero it doesn't prove that the function is analytic ? Does it infer anything ?
Thanks

ppy said:
Thanks for that. So if the closed integral is zero it doesn't prove that the function is analytic ? Does it infer anything ?
Thanks
Not really.

It implies that the contour integral is 0, though. :-p

Likes 1 person
you are missing a hypothesis of morera's theorem that the integrand be continuous.

mathwonk said:
you are missing a hypothesis of morera's theorem that the integrand be continuous.
This is true. :redface:

If the integrand is continuous and the integral is 0, then, with a couple of other conditions, the integrand is holomorphic.

Related to Complex integral is zero but fn. is not analytic

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral in real analysis, but takes into account the imaginary numbers that make up the complex plane.

2. What does it mean for a complex integral to be zero?

If a complex integral is equal to zero, it means that the area under the curve in the complex plane is equal to zero. This can happen if the curve has equal and opposite areas above and below the x-axis, cancelling each other out.

3. How is a complex integral related to analytic functions?

Analytic functions are functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. If a function is analytic, it can be represented by a complex integral. Conversely, if a complex integral is equal to zero, the function it represents is not analytic.

4. Can a function be not analytic but still have a zero complex integral?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be not analytic but still have a zero complex integral. This means that the function does not have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, but the areas above and below the x-axis still cancel out when calculating the complex integral.

5. What are some examples of functions that have a zero complex integral but are not analytic?

One example is the absolute value function, which is not differentiable at the point where x = 0. Another example is the complex conjugate function, which is not differentiable at any point in its domain. Both of these functions have a zero complex integral, but are not considered analytic functions.