Complex Integral over a Unit Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating an integral involving a counterclockwise orientation for the unit circle and the residue theorem. The question involves finding the integral of \frac{z+i}{z^3+2z^2} dz, with |z|=1 as the lower limit. The conversation also delves into the use of the residue theorem to find the poles located inside the contour and how to handle multiple singularities within the contour. Finally, the conversation concludes with the understanding that the integral is equal to 2\pi i\sum~\mathrm{residues}.
Applejacks

Homework Statement

Assuming a counterclockwise orientation for the unit circle, calculate
∫ [itex]\frac{z+i}{z^3+2z^2}[/itex] dz
|z|=1

Homework Equations

f'(a)=[itex]\frac{n!}{2i\pi}[/itex]=∫[itex]\frac{f(z)}{{z-a}^(n+1)}[/itex]
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand these types of questions. What does the |z| have to do with the integral? It's written on the bottom limit of the integral in case that wasn't clear.

From the answers, it writes:
f(z)=[itex]\frac{z+i}{z+2}[/itex]
2[itex]\pi[/itex]f'(0)=[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\pi[/itex]iEdit: Nevermind. I found out how the formula works. I still don't understand what the |z| does. What would happen if it was |z|=10 for example?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
|z|=1 is represents the closed curve (unit circle) around which the contour integration should be performed.

do you know the residue theorem, could be pretty useful here

I somewhat understand the residue theorem and how singularities work. I'm not sure how that explains what the circle does. As long as the singularity is located in the circle, then I can do the integral. If I had something like |z-2|=1, then a problem would occur since the singularity is outside the circle. How do I adjust it then?

you don't the residue theorem relates the integral around a closed curve to the poles located inside the curve - so you need to find which poles are located with the unit circle

start with finding the poles of the function

So if I had something like the expression below, where C is the square with vertices ([itex]\pm2+2i[/itex],[itex]\pm2-2i[/itex])

∫ [itex]\frac{cos(z)}{z(z^2+8)}[/itex] dz
C

Would I ignore the poles at +/-isqrt(8) and proceed to use the CIF?

2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*f(0)=2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*[itex]\frac{cos(0)}{(0^2+8)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{i\pi}{4}[/itex]

Last edited:
Yup, you only care about the poles inside the contour.

To answer your question in post 3: If there are no singularities inside the contour, the integral is equal to 0.

Last edited:
vela said:
To answer your question in post 3: If there are no singularities inside the contour, the integral is equal to 0.

omg I feel so stupid for not seeing something this simple...

Thanks for the help so far. I have one last question. What happens when you have multiple singularities within the contour. For example:

∫ [itex]\frac{sin(z)cos(z)}{((z-\frac{\pi}{4}}[/itex])(z+[itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]) dz
|z|=[itex]\pi[/itex]Edit: blah I can't fix the fractions in the integral. The z+pi/4 is on the denominator

Do we treat each one individually and then add them up?

2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*f([itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex])=2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*[itex]\frac{1}{2*(\pi/2}[/itex])=2i

2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*f([itex]\frac{-\pi}{4}[/itex])=2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*[itex]\frac{-1}{2*(-\pi/2)}[/itex]=2i

2i+2i=4i

Last edited:
Yes, that's what you do. The integral is equal to [itex]2\pi i\sum~\mathrm{residues}[/itex].

Awesome. I finally understand this topic! Thanks Vela and Lanedance.

FAQ: Complex Integral over a Unit Circle

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves the calculation of a function along a curve in the complex plane.

2. How is a complex integral different from a real integral?

A complex integral takes into account the complex numbers, which have a real and imaginary part, while a real integral only deals with real numbers.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a complex integral?

The purpose of calculating a complex integral is to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where functions involving complex numbers are used.

4. What are some common methods for evaluating complex integrals?

Some common methods for evaluating complex integrals include the Cauchy integral theorem, the Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem.

5. Are there any applications of complex integrals in real life?

Complex integrals have numerous applications in real life, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing circuits, in fluid dynamics for studying fluid flow, and in signal processing for analyzing signals with complex components.

Back