Complex Integral: Solving the Equation $\oint _{|z+i|=1} \frac{e^z}{1+z^2} dz$

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a complex integral using substitution and Cauchy's integral formula. The denominator is factored and then partial fractions are used to solve the integral. The conversation also discusses finding the roots of a complex number in order to factor the denominator of another integral.
Wiemster

Homework Statement

[tex]\oint _{|z+i|=1} \frac{e^z}{1+z^2} dz =?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted z+i=z' and [itex]z'=e^{i\theta}[/tex] to arrive at

[tex]e^{-i} \int _0 ^{2 \pi} \frac{e^{e^{i \theta}}}{-ie^{i \theta}-2} d \theta[/tex]

I have no clue how to solve such an integral, any ideas??

(I also did a similar excercise to arrive at the same integral but now [itex]sin(\pi/4 + exp(i \theta))[/tex] in the numerator. Are these kind of integrals analytically solvable??)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Factor the denominator: z²+1 = (z+i)(z-i), then partial fractions.
Do you know Cauchy's integral formula? It states for a inside C:

[tex]f(a) = {1 \over 2\pi i} \oint_C {f(z) \over z-a}\, dz [/tex]

Thanks a lot! Should have thought of that of course, but now I know I can also make the others, great help!

No problem :smile:

Well, maybe I can bother you with one more question? Most of em I can do, but there is this this one with a denominator 1+z^4 which I don't know how to seperate. I tried (z^2+i)(z^2-i) but then I can't separate these...

Do you maybe have an idea?

You need to find +/- sqrt(i) and +/- sqrt(-i). It factors like this:

[tex]
\left( {z + \frac{{\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 2 i}}{2}} \right)\left( {z + \frac{{\sqrt 2 - \sqrt 2 i}}{2}} \right)\left( {z - \frac{{\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 2 i}}{2}} \right)\left( {z - \frac{{\sqrt 2 - \sqrt 2 i}}{2}} \right)
[/tex]

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome :smile:

Related to Complex Integral: Solving the Equation $\oint _{|z+i|=1} \frac{e^z}{1+z^2} dz$

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a complex function over a given path or curve. It is similar to a regular integral, but the function and the path are both complex numbers.

2. How do you solve a complex integral?

To solve a complex integral, you typically use techniques from complex analysis, such as Cauchy's integral theorem or Cauchy's integral formula. These methods involve evaluating the integral over a closed contour and using the properties of analytic functions.

3. What does the equation $\oint _{|z+i|=1} \frac{e^z}{1+z^2} dz$ represent?

This equation represents the complex integral of the function $\frac{e^z}{1+z^2}$ over the contour given by the circle with center -i and radius 1 in the complex plane. In other words, it calculates the area under this function along the given circular path.

4. What is the significance of the contour $|z+i|=1$ in this complex integral?

The contour $|z+i|=1$ is important because it defines the path over which the integral is being evaluated. In this case, it is a circle of radius 1 centered at -i, which is a commonly used contour in complex analysis.

5. How do you evaluate the integral $\oint _{|z+i|=1} \frac{e^z}{1+z^2} dz$?

To evaluate this integral, you would first need to parameterize the contour as a function of a complex variable, such as $z=e^{i\theta}-i$. Then, you would substitute this into the integral and use techniques from complex analysis to evaluate it, such as the residue theorem or Cauchy's integral formula.