Complex Integral: Struggling to Integrate [(lnx)^2](1+x^2)

In summary, to integrate [(lnx)^2)/(1+(x^2)) from zero to infinity, you need to replace ln(x) by ln|x|+Pi*i on the negative real axis and expand the square to get 3 integrals, one of which is the desired integral and the others can be evaluated using calculus.
sachi
We have to integrate [(lnx)^2)/(1+(x^2)) from zero to infinity.
I have set up the correct complex integral with a branch cut along the negative y-axis, but I end up with an integral of [(lnx)^2](1+x^2) from minus infinity to zero. I'm not sure how to deal with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
sachi said:
We have to integrate [(lnx)^2)/(1+(x^2)) from zero to infinity.
I have set up the correct complex integral with a branch cut along the negative y-axis, but I end up with an integral of [(lnx)^2](1+x^2) from minus infinity to zero. I'm not sure how to deal with this.

On the negative real axis replace ln(x) by ln|x|+Pi*i. Expand the square and you'll have 3 integrals, one is the same as the thing you're after, one can be evaluated using first year calculus stuff, and one is necessarily zero (compare imaginary parts)

FAQ: Complex Integral: Struggling to Integrate [(lnx)^2](1+x^2)

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an extension of the concept of integration to functions of a complex variable. It involves finding the area under a curve in the complex plane.

2. What is the formula for a complex integral?

The formula for a complex integral is ∫f(z) dz, where f(z) is the complex-valued function and dz is the differential element in the complex plane.

3. How do you solve a complex integral?

To solve a complex integral, you can use a variety of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the Cauchy integral formula. It is important to carefully consider the path of integration in the complex plane when solving these integrals.

4. What is the specific integral [(lnx)^2](1+x^2) trying to evaluate?

The specific integral [(lnx)^2](1+x^2) is trying to evaluate the area under the curve of the function (lnx)^2(1+x^2) in the complex plane.

5. Why might one struggle to integrate [(lnx)^2](1+x^2)?

Integrating complex functions can be challenging because the properties of complex numbers are different from those of real numbers. It requires a strong understanding of complex analysis and the use of techniques specific to complex integrals.

Back