Complex Integral Trigonometric Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving two different definite integrals of functions using complex analysis and the residue theorem. In the solutions, both sin(z) and cos(z) are replaced with e^{iz}. This is possible due to the identities sin(z) = (e^{iz}-e^{-iz})/2i and cos(z) = (e^{iz}+e^{-iz})/2. The use of these identities is related to the singularity at z=0 and the decomposition of the regions in the problem. The paths of the integrals are also discussed, and it is mentioned that knowing the total integral along the closed path and the values of the integrals off the real line can help determine the integral on the real
KleZMeR
I'm solving two different definite integrals of functions

[itex]\frac{sin(z)}{z} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{cos(z)}{e^z+e^{-z}} [/itex]

with complex analysis and the residue theorem, and in the solutions they replace both

[itex]sin(z) [/itex] and [itex] cos(z) [/itex] with [itex]e^{iz}[/itex]

why is this possible?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sin(z) = (e^{iz}-e^{-iz})/2i, cos(z) = (e^{iz}+e^{-iz})/2

Thanks Mathman, but I know of these identities. I was not asking about replacing trig with polar form. Because of the nature of the Residue Theorem and the geometry of the problem, for some reason I think they have decomposed the regions because of the singularity at z=0, and as a result the integral changes to a single term as stated above.

Take a close look at the paths of the integrals. On the real line, eir = cos(r) + i*sin(r). So if you know the total integral along the closed path and the values of the integrals off of the real line, you can determine the integral on the integral path part on the real line. Then you can pull off the real and imaginary parts to get the integrals of the cos and sin, respectively.

Likes KleZMeR

This is possible because of the Euler's formula, which states that e^{iz} = cos(z) + i sin(z). This allows us to rewrite the given integrals as \frac{e^{iz}}{z} and \frac{e^{iz}}{e^z+e^{-z}}, respectively. By using this substitution, we can then apply the residue theorem to evaluate the integrals. This method is often used in complex analysis because it simplifies the calculations and allows us to use the well-known properties of e^{iz}.

Related to Complex Integral Trigonometric Substitution

1. What is complex integral trigonometric substitution?

Complex integral trigonometric substitution is a technique used in mathematics to evaluate complex integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a complex trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, making it easier to solve.

2. When should complex integral trigonometric substitution be used?

Complex integral trigonometric substitution should be used when the integral involves trigonometric functions that cannot be easily evaluated using other techniques. It is particularly useful when the integral contains both algebraic and trigonometric functions.

3. How does complex integral trigonometric substitution work?

Complex integral trigonometric substitution works by replacing the variable in the integral with a complex trigonometric function, such as sine or cosine. This allows the integral to be rewritten in terms of the complex trigonometric function, which can then be simplified and evaluated.

4. What are the most commonly used complex trigonometric substitutions?

The most commonly used complex trigonometric substitutions are the sine and cosine substitutions, which involve replacing the variable with either sine or cosine functions. Other common substitutions include tangent and secant functions.

5. Are there any tips for using complex integral trigonometric substitution?

Yes, there are a few tips for using complex integral trigonometric substitution. First, it is important to choose the appropriate substitution based on the form of the integral. Second, it is helpful to simplify the integral as much as possible before substituting. Lastly, always remember to substitute back in the original variable at the end to get the final answer.