Complex Integrals: Sketching Paths & Computing Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses sketching two C1 paths, a and b, and computing integrals over these paths. Path a is a quadratic curve between 0 and 1 in the complex plane, while path b is a linear path from 0 to (1+i). The notation [0; 1 + i] is not defined, and it is suggested that it may represent a line segment between 0 and (1+i). The conversation also mentions the need to reconsider the definition of Re(z) for these paths.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

Sketch the C1 paths a: [0; 1] -> C, t -> t + it2 and b: [0; 1 + i]. Then compute the following integrals.

∫Re(z)dz over a

∫Re(z)dz over b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sketching a seems ok, y-axis is Imaginary, x-axis is Real, and the path is a quadratic between 0 and 1.

However I'm not sure about b...

As for the integrals, is it just a case of integrating Re(a(t))a'(t)dt between 0 and 1, then integrating Re(a(t))a'(t)dt between 0 and 1+i?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MM!

I believe you've got (a) down.

For (b) I have to admit I haven't seen the notation [0; 1 + i] before.
Do you have a definition for it?
I'd assume it's supposed to represent the line segment between 0 and (1+i).
Or in other words: (1+i)[0, 1].
It looks a bit weird though, since a curve is usually defined on an interval of real numbers.
However, if this is the case, you need to reconsider what Re(z) is.

I like Serena said:
Hi MM!

I believe you've got (a) down.

For (b) I have to admit I haven't seen the notation [0; 1 + i] before.
Do you have a definition for it?
I'd assume it's supposed to represent the line segment between 0 and (1+i).
Or in other words: (1+i)[0, 1].
It looks a bit weird though, since a curve is usually defined on an interval of real numbers.
However, if this is the case, you need to reconsider what Re(z) is.

I don't have a definition for it. I'll upload the actual problem to show it to you.

Attachments

• MA2325_ha4.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 165
Maybe_Memorie said:
I don't have a definition for it. I'll upload the actual problem to show it to you.

I get it, in particular if I look at the problems that are coming, that show which theory you're currently learning.

Path b is not related to path a.
It is just a (linear) path from 0 to (1+i).
It would be given by b:[0,1]→C defined by t→t(1+i)

Note that path a also starts in 0 and ends in (1+i).

And also note that for path a the interval is [0,1] and not [0;1].
[0,1] is a real interval, whereas [0;1] would indicate a (linear) path between 0 and 1 in the complex plane.

Related to Complex Integrals: Sketching Paths & Computing Integrals

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an extension of the concept of integration to complex numbers. It involves finding the area under a curve in the complex plane.

2. How do you sketch a path for a complex integral?

To sketch a path for a complex integral, you need to consider the function being integrated and identify any singularities or branch points. Then, choose a path that avoids these points and connects the starting and ending points of the integral.

3. What is the Cauchy-Goursat theorem?

The Cauchy-Goursat theorem states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the integral of that function along any closed path in that region is equal to zero.

4. How do you compute a complex integral using the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula states that the value of a complex integral can be calculated by evaluating the function at any point inside the path and multiplying it by 2πi. The formula also takes into account the singularities of the function.

5. What are some common methods for computing complex integrals?

Some common methods for computing complex integrals include the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, and the method of partial fractions. These methods can be used to evaluate integrals over closed paths, contour integrals, and integrals with poles or branch points.