Complex integration and residue theorem.

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the derivation of an equation in an attachment. The speaker asks for an explanation of how the equation can be separated into two fractions, and also mentions trying to use Cauchy's Theorem for this purpose. The other person in the conversation asks for more details and suggests treating the equation with meticulous detail and studying it thoroughly to find the solution.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I was wondering whether any of you could kindly explain to me how the equation in the attachment was derived.
I mean, how could I have known that it could be separated into these two fractions?

Homework Equations

The attachment also specifies the integration to be performed in the rectangular region whose coordinates are given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the integrand, and integral, are zero for x=R, as R->infinity.

Attachments

• D.JPG
    D.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are just the two non-vanishing parts of the contour.

But how were these expressions derived? I mean, how could I have obtained them myself?
Is it by using Cauchy's Theorem as shown in the attachment I just added? I have tried using that to obtain these expressions, but was unsuccessful.

Attachments

• C.JPG
    C.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 395
peripatein said:
But how were these expressions derived? I mean, how could I have obtained them myself?

Your attachment is sorely lacking in detail. How about a picture, labeled, a nice one. All four legs, C1 through C4 starting on the real axis and going counterclockwise. Now, treat it like a fine wine, delicately and in meticulous detail, every square mm of it. Start with the expression:

$$\int_{c1} \frac{e^{iz}}{\cosh(z)}dz$$

what is that? Well, since it's on the real axis, then z=x+iy=x, and we're integrating from -R to R it's simply:

$$\int_{-R}^{R} \frac{e^{ix}}{\cosh(x)}dx$$

let's just leave that one there for now. How about the leg going from (R,0) to (R\pi)? What is that? Well, in terms of the complex variable z=x+iy, that's just z=R+iy but don't forget that dz=idy. Now make the substitution:

$$\int_{C2}\frac{e^{iz}}{\cosh(z)}dz=\int_0^{\pi} \frac{e^{i(R+iy)}}{\cosh(R+iy)}idy $$

Ok, that's #2. How about the other two. Get those and then see what you got. Study it for a little while and see what you can do with it. Maybe things cancel, other things.

You learn what to do by working with them in meticulous detail and then sitting back and studying what you have for a little while, overlooking nothing. Often the answer does not come immediately. It has to simmer a little while in your mind. Don't rush.

Related to Complex integration and residue theorem.

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to find the value of a complex function along a given path in the complex plane. It involves integrating a complex-valued function with respect to a complex variable.

2. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that is used to evaluate complex integrals. It states that the value of an integral around a closed path in the complex plane is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the enclosed path.

3. How is the residue of a function calculated?

The residue of a function is calculated by finding the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function. This coefficient is also known as the residue of the function at a given point.

4. What are some applications of complex integration and the residue theorem?

Complex integration and the residue theorem have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to evaluate real integrals, calculate areas and volumes in the complex plane, solve differential equations, and analyze complex physical systems.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using complex integration and the residue theorem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using complex integration and the residue theorem include incorrect identification of poles and residues, errors in the Laurent series expansion, and not applying Cauchy's integral formula correctly. It is also important to check the path of integration and ensure it is closed and does not intersect any poles of the function.