Complex Integration: Evaluating Line Integrals on a Circle

In summary, the line integral \oint _{|z| = 2 } z^n \bar{z}^m dz can be evaluated by writing z in polar form and using the integral of e^{i r \theta} to solve for different cases of n-m. Complex analysis is often used in practical applications, such as in electrical engineering to represent voltage, current, and other components as complex numbers.
LostEngKid
Evaluate the Line Integral (assume counterclockwise orientation)

[tex]\oint[/tex] [tex]_{|z| = 2 }[/tex] z^n [tex]\bar{z}[/tex]^m dz for all m, n [tex]\in[/tex] Z

I have no freaken clue about how to even attempt this...

Physics news on Phys.org
By intuition would be to write it as the integral of

[tex](z\bar{z})^{m}z^{n-m}[/tex]

and evaluate for different cases of n-m.

LostEngKid said:
Evaluate the Line Integral (assume counterclockwise orientation)

[tex]\oint[/tex] [tex]_{|z| = 2 }[/tex] z^n [tex]\bar{z}[/tex]^m dz for all m, n [tex]\in[/tex] Z

I have no freaken clue about how to even attempt this...

Just write z in polar representation [tex] z = e^{i r \theta} [/tex]. Then it's easy.

Or just write z=2*exp(i*theta), zbar=2*exp(-i*theta), dz=2*i*exp(i*theta)*d(theta) and integrate theta from 0 to 2pi. Same thing really. If you are following nicksauce's suggestion be sure and replace z*zbar by 4. zbar isn't analytic. Don't try and do the whole thing as a complex integral.

nrqed said:
Just write z in polar representation [tex] z = e^{i r \theta} [/tex]. Then it's easy.

Uh, z=r*exp(i*theta), right?

Dick said:
Uh, z=r*exp(i*theta), right?

Of course! Sorry for the typo!

nrqed said:
Of course! Sorry for the typo!

S'alright. Just didn't want to confuse LostEngKid.

Dick said:
S'alright. Just didn't want to confuse LostEngKid.

I know. That's why I apologized. I know that if it was just for you, it would not matter much because it is obvious to you that it's a typo. But I am glad you pointed it out for the OP and others reading this thread!

Regards

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it, i think ill definitely need this site to pass maths this semester, god i hope i don't have another maths subject next year

Just on a side note, I am doing electrical engineering and I am wondering when complex analysis would be used in a practical sense, i mean at the moment it seems like maths for the sake of maths and no1 has given me an example of an application for it. What is is used for?

LostEngKid said:
Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it, i think ill definitely need this site to pass maths this semester, god i hope i don't have another maths subject next year

Just on a side note, I am doing electrical engineering and I am wondering when complex analysis would be used in a practical sense, i mean at the moment it seems like maths for the sake of maths and no1 has given me an example of an application for it. What is is used for?

I thought electrical engineering was a hotbed of complex numbers, so much so that they use 'j' instead of 'i' so it won't be confused with 'i' for current. Aside from their general uses in differential equations and contour integration, voltage/current and capacitance/inductance are handy to represent as components of complex numbers.

Related to Complex Integration: Evaluating Line Integrals on a Circle

What is a complex integration question?

A complex integration question involves calculating the integral of a function that contains complex numbers. It may require the use of techniques from complex analysis, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations or contour integration.

Why are complex integration questions important?

Complex integration is crucial in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It allows for the evaluation of complex-valued functions and the solution of differential equations with complex coefficients.

What are some common methods used to solve complex integration questions?

Some common methods include using the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, and contour integration. These techniques can be applied to evaluate integrals over curves, regions, and even on the complex plane.

What are some challenges in solving complex integration questions?

One of the main challenges is identifying the appropriate method to use for a given integral. Another challenge is correctly handling singularities and branch cuts that may arise in the complex plane.

How can I improve my skills in solving complex integration questions?

Practice is key in improving skills in solving complex integration questions. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of complex analysis, as well as familiarity with common techniques and theorems used in complex integration.