Complex Integration: Find g(2)=8πi, g(z) when |z|>3

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of g(z) when |z| does not equal 3 and |z|>3 for a given function g(z). It is shown that g(2)=8 \pi i using the Cauchy Integral Formula, but the value of g(z) for |z|>3 is found to be 0 due to the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem. Poles, which are points where the function is not defined, are also mentioned in the conversation.
doubleaxel195

Homework Statement

Let C be the circle |z|=3, described in the positive sense. Show that if

[tex]g(z)= \int_C \frac{2s^2-s-2}{s-z} ds[/tex] such that |z| does not equal 3,
then g(2)=[tex]8 \pi i [/tex]. What is the value of g(z) when when |z|>3?

Homework Equations

Cauchy Integral Formula
Deformation of path

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved how to get g(2)=[tex]8 \pi i [/tex] with the Cauchy Integral Formula. But I'm not sure how to approach the second part. The only thing I can think of is that g(z) is not analytic if z=3.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is only non zero when all the poles are within the contour, so if they are outside...

What exactly are poles? I'm not sure we have covered that yet.

poles are point at which the function is not defined, in your example the point s=z would be a pole.

Ah! I see, how silly of me. Of course it's 0 by the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem because if z is a point outside of z, g(z) becomes analytic on and within C.

Thanks.

Related to Complex Integration: Find g(2)=8πi, g(z) when |z|>3

What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the integral of a complex-valued function over a given region in the complex plane. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and applying the fundamental theorem of calculus.

How do you find g(2)=8πi?

To find g(2)=8πi, we first need to set up the integral in terms of the function g(z). We can then use the Cauchy Integral Formula, which states that the value of a function at a point inside a closed curve is equal to the integral of the function over that curve. By setting z=2 and solving for g(z), we can find the value of g(2) to be 8πi.

What is the significance of |z|>3 in the problem?

The condition |z|>3 specifies the region over which the integral is to be evaluated. In this case, it means that the integral is being evaluated over the region outside of a circle with radius 3 centered at the origin in the complex plane.

What is the function g(z) when |z|>3?

The function g(z) when |z|>3 is the value of the integral over the specified region. It is a complex-valued function that takes into account the behavior of the original function over the given region.

What are some applications of complex integration?

Complex integration has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the areas and volumes of complex shapes, solve differential equations, and evaluate certain types of series. It is also used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.