Complex Integration Homework: Compute Integrals w/ Principle Value of z^i

In summary, the problem involves computing two integrals using the principle value of z^{i} and determining the easier one between the two. The suggested approach is to use branch cuts along the negative and positive real axes for the respective integrals, making z^{i} analytic along the paths. The antiderivative is then taken and the end points are plugged in to obtain the solution. There is some confusion about parameterizing the integral and whether the approach taken is correct.
strangequark

Homework Statement

Compute the following integrals using the principle value of [tex]z^{i}[/tex]

a.
[tex]\int z^{i} dz [/tex] where [tex]\gamma_{1}(t)=e^{it}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{-\pi}{2}\leq t \leq \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]

b.
[tex]\int z^{i} dz [/tex] where [tex]\gamma_{1}(t)=e^{it}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}\leq t \leq \frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is a "hint" with the problem that says one of the integrals is easier than the other.
I don't see why, for part a, I can't use a branch cut along the negative real axis, so that [tex]z^{i}[/tex] will be analytic along the path.
And for part b, i don't see why I can't simply use a different branch cut, say one along the positive real axis, so that [tex]z^{i}[/tex] will then be analytic along that path.

Then for each, I can just take the antiderivative:

[tex]F(z)=\frac{z^{i+1}}{i+1}[/tex]

and plug in the end points...

If I do, I get:

a. [tex]\int z^{i} dz = \frac{i^{i+1}}{i+1}+\frac{(-i)^{i+1}}{i+1} = (\frac{e^{\frac{\pi}{2}}}{2}+\frac{e^{\frac{\pi}{2}}}{2}i)-(-\frac{e^{\frac{\pi}{2}}}{2}-\frac{e^{\frac{\pi}{2}}}{2}i ) = cosh(\frac{\pi}{2})+cosh(\frac{\pi}{2})i[/tex]

and I will get the same thing for b.

Is there something I am missing? Do I ned to parameterize the integral or is what I am doing correct?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking that because [tex]f(z)=z^{i}[/tex] is entire, and that the region in which the curve lies will be simply connected... then the anitderiv exists and since [tex]i[/tex] is just a constant, then the primitive of [tex]f(z)[/tex] will be [tex]F(z)=\frac{z^{i+1}}{i+1}[/tex]...

does anyone have any ideas? I'm really stuck here... thanks

FAQ: Complex Integration Homework: Compute Integrals w/ Principle Value of z^i

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the integral of a complex-valued function over a specified region in the complex plane. It is similar to regular integration, but instead of integrating over a real interval, it integrates over a contour or path in the complex plane.

2. What is the principle value of z^i?

The principle value of z^i is the value of the complex number z^i when i is taken as the principal branch of the logarithm. In other words, it is the value of z^i when i is chosen such that the imaginary part lies between -π and π.

3. How do you compute integrals with principle value of z^i?

To compute integrals with principle value of z^i, you first need to express the function in terms of its real and imaginary parts. Then, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to rewrite the function in terms of a single variable. Finally, you can use regular integration techniques to evaluate the integral.

4. When do you need to use principle value of z^i in complex integration?

You need to use principle value of z^i when the function you are integrating has a branch cut (a region where the function is not analytic) in the complex plane. In this case, the integral will be undefined unless you use the principal branch of the logarithm.

5. Can you provide an example of computing an integral with principle value of z^i?

Sure, let's say we want to compute the integral of f(z) = z^i over the contour C, where C is the unit circle centered at the origin. We can first rewrite f(z) as f(z) = e^(ilog(z)). Then, using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, we get the integral of f(z) over C to be equal to the integral of e^(ilog(z))dz over C. This can be further simplified to the integral of z dz over C, which can then be evaluated using regular integration techniques.

Back